Speech and hearing

My son has speech delays, which is why he's in Head Start. He's gotten better with the help of speech therapy, which he will continue with at HS (he has an IEP).

My problem is that I'm deaf in one ear, partially deaf in the other. I don't have hearing aids (can't afford them) and I don't know sign language (I tried learning, even took classes, but it's difficult to learn when the instructor is facing towards other students and away from you) nor does he, aside from a few simple signs like 'more' and 'eat.' I lip read mostly.

My son will not face you when he's talking. He looks down, or sideways or completely turns around. I try to get him to look at me and make him repeat, but it's a battle. I get frustrated because I don't understand him and he gets frustrated for the same. What can I do? Can I get his speech therapist to work with him on it?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I also have the same problem you do with the hearing loss. I am deaf in one ear and partially in the other. I totally understand. Sit down with your son one on one and tell him you can't always hear what he says. Tell him it will help you understand him better. As for speech with him. Talk to his speech therapist and tell her you would like to learn signs and communicate some with your son. I have two children with a hearing loss as well. They are 17 and 11. When my oldest went to the school for the deaf, they always sent home copies of the pictures along with the signs to help him learn. This way, you can teach yourself too. I'm not fluent in it, but I do know some. It has helped me through the years.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'd ask h is speech therapist about it. I'm sorry you're going through this.

My son is deaf in one ear and it took a while for him to speak where I or any one else could understand him. It caused a lot of agression issues but we made it through.

There are a lot of baby einstein videos and things like that to teach your child sign language. It may help you too. This way you can both learn the basics so that you can try to communicate with hand gestures instead of making him look at your face. This may be fun for him so he may hold his attention to it longer then trying to read lips.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yeah, I would talk to her. Maybe she can give you some other ideas/resources. Who knows, it might be a blessing in disguise: maybe you're need for him to repeat and speak carefully will, in the end, be just what he needs to develop good speech. Hang in there, mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have 3 kids with IEPs...one nonverbal who signs...simple sign DVD helped me learn it. With signing you have to look at the person and we shoulder tap to alert each other to look at me. My auditory processing delayed DD I had to teach to "look at my eyes" to get her to attend to my voice.

Even our dog does the sign commands without vocal prompts....I had to teach her by using a treat and bring it to my nose to look at me and now just my hand going to the start position gets her eyes to mine and then to my hand for the command. I had to send the DVD's to the dog trainer so she could learn simple sign first.....we made up the signs for the dog similar so my son to do them.

I am forgetting her name...the person who puts colored tape on her fingers when signing...I really like that person....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Rachel Coleman from Nick Jr. does the color taped fingers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikdqNVoCYQ&feature=channel
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i would talk to them, maybe your son would flourish knowing signing would help you understand him, while working on his verbal communication.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I talked to his teacher today when I picked him up. He had his first meeting with his speech therapist today, just a get-to-know you session. I hope I get a chance to meet with her, but she did say the speech therapist does teach the kids to face her when she's working with them. I can ask about sign language, but I think her primary objective is to teach the kids to speak correctly so I may need to look into another source for that.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010