How can I go to nursing school?

I need to support me and my son too. I get child support but it's not enough to live off. It's not even enough to live off right now and I live with my parents rent free and no food costs. And I can't stay here much longer. So any tips? Or should I just give up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Try to do a short CNA program. Depending on your state, you could complete it in 4-6 weeks. Once you are a CNA, try to find an employer that does tuition assistance. You can work as a CNA while you earn your LPN by taking classes in your off time or you could do a night time course of RN.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you want to do nursing-GO ALL THE WAY-or you will waste your time and money. Apply for financial aid (google FASFA) and they will give you grants (it's free). Worst case scenario you may have to pull out some loans. If you have never been to college-you will have about 2 yrs to do your pre-req's. During this time you can work. After that, when in nursing school-it is harder to hold a job down.

How do I know? I have been in college for 4 yrs. I have changed my major from nursing, to law, back to nursing. I have 8 more courses before I am able to enter in the BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) program. Talk to ANY person who is a nurse and they will tell you-paying to get your CNA courses, and then LPN, and then RN is a WASTE. RN makes the most unless you decide to pursue something higher (such as myself where I will get my masters and become a Nurse Practitioner).

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Check your local community college. A lot of them offer a program for RNs and LPNs. You can do it in about two years if you go every semester at my CC.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would be happy to help you get on the right track without wasting time and money. Good luck!
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• OH-one more thing--the nursing program for your AS is a 2 years program, but people fail to realize-if you do not have your pre-req's (3 englishes, 2 maths, statistics, nutrition, Anatomy, psychology, sociology...ect...) then you WILL NOT finish in 2 years. Pre-req's will generally take about 2 yrs. unless you have to take some prep courses.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• "Talk to ANY person who is a nurse and they will tell you-paying to get your CNA courses, and then LPN, and then RN is a WASTE."

While that is true Anasmommy, with her situation, I don't think she has the option to go full time with nursing. Even with grants, scholarships, and loans, it won't be enough to pay for school AND live off of. If she gets her CNA and is able to work and go into the RN program, it would help her in her situation even if it is a slightly longer route.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2010