do you let your toddler watch t.v

If so, how many hours/minutes do you allow per day?

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep, TV is on from the time we wake up until we go to bed.
    Anonymous

• I have PBS on in my room all day for him. He wanders in and out, goes into his room to sit in his glider rocker to "read", drags his rocking caterpillar all over the house ... and watches Curious George and Syd the Science Kid.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Heavens yes.... i try not to over do it.. but who am i kidding.. he loves to watch Thomas and all the PBS cartoons... he always has a movie on in his room... Except when he sleeps.. that bad boy goes OFF!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 5:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I do let both of my children watch TV. I love Noggin, there are no commercials, and the shows can be educational. The tv is on all day, but I do encourage them to get up and play, we also read and do activities together.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• yep, he wakes up and watches sesame street during breakfast, and i change it to the Noggin, and then to the Sprout channel during lunch. in between breakfast and lunch it's really on just for background noise, he doesnt' really watch it. at nap time, from then on it's what i want to watch, until breakfast the next day.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Not at all.. I dont turn on the TV when my daughter is awake. When she is taking her nap after lunch and im done with the cleaning ect. then i watch news maybe. After dinner, when she is going to bed i watch some TV.

In my opinion (please read. i said "MY OPINION"!) a toddler does not need a TV. They should play with educational toys.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I allow my 15 month old to watch Backyardigans in the morning while he eats his breakfast and then he gets to watch Diego or Backyardigans after his afternoon nap. Most days that is all he gets. There are some days that we watch a fun movie together, but not often. I would prefer to be playing with him or being outside! It's not going to hurt if they watch a little bit a day though.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 5:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes, we allow him to watch tv; well more like we'll be watching tv and he'll be there with us, as his playroom is in our living room. A lot of the time he doesn't even pay attention to it; he prefers his toys.
    punkmama27

Answer by punkmama27 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i agree with the educational toys! I also have a new baby in the house.. so.. selfish as it may seem it makes it so easy to have him watch an educational show while i deal with the baby, whom is EBF, so i am not always having to brush him aside to do so that way he doesn't feel like #2. we spend a lot of one on one time together too!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 5:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my son has a tv in his room, please no bashing, he watches a movie at bed time and i try to turn if off b4 i fall asleep but other wise it is his night light... he is useally outside playing or helping me clean for most of the day. but he can watch tv when ever he wants... he would rather be outside playing anyways...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008