MIL will be coming to stay at our home when I go into labor to watch the other two kiddos for us...I want to be prepared for her so that she is comfortable..

What would you suggest I stock the fridge with?
Is there anything else I could do to make it easier and more comfortable for her?

She's doing us this huge favor and I am so grateful. I want her to know I really appreciate her taking the time out of her life to stay here and help like this.

I'm not due until September 16(2 weeks 4 days to go) so I have a little time to prepare but would like everything to be done(yeah, I have the nesting syndrome going on big time,lol).

What all can I do? I don't want to miss or forget a single detail.
Besides..keeping busy like this is really helping me to pass the time,lol.

Thankyou!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Stock the fridge and cabinets with some of her favorite foods. If she will be cooking, stock with easy to put together foods. Maybe get a couple books or magazines by her favorite authors for her down time.
    You could put some fresh flowers in the room she will be staying in (or on the counter if she's sleeping in the living room).
    Maybe her favorite shampoo or lotion for while she's there, and to take home when she leaves.
    Good luck, and congrats!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Make meals and freeze them. I am sure she is a very capable women, but to help make it easier on her I suggest making some pre-prepared meals. That way she can just toss it in the oven or heat it up on the stove. Then stock the cabnits with treats, drinks, and other foods that she enjoys eating. I would suggest asking your MIL what kind of foods she likes and then stocking up on those.

Remember to have guest blankets, towels, wash cloths, and other needed linens in an easily accessable place. Write out a schedule for her that your kids follow daily. Including lists of foods they like and foods they don't like. That will make it easier on her to keep them on their schedule and make sure they have fully bellies. If you have a complicated TV system make sure to write out how to use the equipment, so that she's not struggling through it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i'd put together a nice basket of stuff for her...magazines and lotions like one pp said...maybe some of her favorite candy or fruit...if you have the space, maybe cook a few dishes like cassaroles or lasagna and freeze them so all she has to do is heat them up...type up a nice schedule of what your kids normally do at what times and any special routines at bedtime. tell her that she doesnt have to follow it, but that its there to help her know what the kids are used to...i would also get a nice small photo album and have hubby run and print off pics from the hosipital to fill it. it would be a nice gift to give her an album of her new grandbaby when you guys get home because she will be wanting to show him/her off to everyone.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 3:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• (Contin) I agree to purchase some of her favorite magazines or books by her favorite authors for her down time. I also agree in putting together a bath basket for her to enjoy while she's staying in your home. With Bath Salts, body wash, lotions, body creams, bath balls, and other fun things for her to enjoy!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would say, ask her what she likes or find out from DH.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• make some things and freeze them so she can reheat if she's tired. Write down instructions for things such as how to operate the television, dvd, dvr, etc. I would also leave a written copy of info about the kids- basic schedule, likes /dislikes, favorites, discipline concerns and rules. Just think of the things she won't know if you don't tell her.
    Then think of things for her comfort- does she like a certain breakfast food, coffee or tea, snackfood? Ask her what she would like to eat and drink and stock up. You could leave a thank you note for her when she arrives and you go to the hospital- that will go a long way toward letting her know how grateful you are.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 3:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree with JazzlikeMraz, but also where are you putting her? She is going to be staying in a guest room? Sofa? Your bedroom? Sounds like shes staying a few nights, make sure the bedding is all fresh.... Clean out a drawer or two. yes shes only staying a few days, but its nice to have something other then a bag to get clothes out of.

Make sure you have plenty of what she likes, Maybe you can rent her favorite movies from your local rental place, ect ect ect. Best of luck...

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• stock it with plently of the kids favorite dinners, snacks and drinks. for her, plently of easy to grab meals and snacks - and coffee!
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Oh...and she will be staying at our house the whole time I'm at the hospital..she WILL be here overnights as well as during th eday and getting my son off to school and staying here to take care of our toddler...
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010