Breastfeeding...

My son is 4 weeks old and breastfeeding exclusively. He was feeding about every 3 hours and then going back to sleep, but over the past couple of days he has been fussier during the day, feeding almost every hour and not sleeping well at night. I have also been trying to pump milk because I am going back to work soon. It seems like I struggle to pump just 1 ounce. Sometimes my breast feel warm and tingle in a painful way. Is any of this normal? Suggestions to improve the eating/pumping?

KristyMc

Asked by KristyMc at 5:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They go through growth spurts where they will eat alot. Also if they are having gas pains they may want to eat more because they don't understand that its gas they are feeling and not hunger. Alternate warm and cold compresses on your breast to ease the pain and look out for any knots/lumps or redness, these are signs of mastitis, which is common but requires antibiotics to treat. I pumped on one breast while nursing on the other.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Sometimes babies go through the "cluster feeding" stage. My son was a "piggy" when it came to breast feeding right from the begining. I agree with the feed him with one, pump the other...then next feeding switch. Breast pumps will never drain your breast as well as your baby will. My breast would be warm and tingly(not pleasent) when my milk flow would increase...not really noticeable with the pump. But as they say...the more he feeds the more milk you will make...this is true. It might just be your breasts gearing up for the task of making even more milk to support your growing baby. My son at 4 months would drain both breasts in one feeding. When I would pump I would get about 8oz...and my doc told me that a pump usually only drains about 2/3 of the milk from your breast. Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
    nostress83

Answer by nostress83 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Pumping takes a little getting used to. Try youtubing for some videos to make sure you are getting it the most comfortable way possible. Also, I seem to only get milk when I pump in the morning and the late evening. Mornings are best for me. You can up your fluid intake and try taking fenugreek capsules. Good luck, mama. Your baby is a lucky little guy. Feel free to PM me :)
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Sounds like a growth spurt to me!! When your baby is only 4 weeks old, an ounce or 2 may be all he's taking. What kind of pump are you using? I have a Lactina Select [double electric] and its amazing. Its rented of course...but just feed him when he's hungry and when he gets your milk supply to what he wants, he'll nurse less often. Feel free to PM me...I've been exclusively BF for 4 months now!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Drink plenty of fluids and try a tea called mothers milk. Try to pump at the same time every day so your body will get used to making enough milk for that time of day. When I first got started I pumped arround 10 in the morning about 1 hour after my son nursed and 1 hour before he woudl want to nurse again. I had to try it for a while before my milk woudl let down with the pump. I have both a hand pump and a motor pump and both worked equaly well for me. With the not sleeping at night try to keep your son awake for a little while after he eats durring the day even if it is just for a minuet or two then at night let him go right to sleep. This helped my son a lot! It really helped him learn the differance betwene night and day. Now he is two and a GREAT sleeper! Good luck with everything
    monkeybaby2006

Answer by monkeybaby2006 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My son just turned 5 weeks and about a week and a half ago i felt like he was eating all day. I was feeding him every hour. So i think it is normal for them to go through a growth spurt at a month old.
    kristi041281

Answer by kristi041281 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2008