Is it bad to be around cats while your pregnant?

Some movies about pregnancy suggest that being around cats in early pregnancy may cause you to loose the baby...is this true?

nandy90

Asked by nandy90 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• lol No! I was around seven when I was pregnant with my first. Some of them pissed on everything too and my baby is just fine. She's three now.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Pregnant women just can't change the kitty litter that's all.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No, just cat litter. Have someone else clean the litter and put it someplace you won't be everyday like in the corner of the basement or something. There is a chemical, can't remember the name,in the litter that you should not breathe in.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Toxoplasmosis is an infection that can threaten the health of an unborn child. It is caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. The parasite multiplies in the intestine of cats and is shed in cat feces, mainly into litter boxes and garden soil. You can get the parasite by handling cat litter or soil where there is cat feces. You can also get the parasite from eating undercooked meat (such as rare beef) from animals infected with the parasite.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/illness/180.html

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• its mostly the cat litter not the cats itself. so stay away from the litter have someone else change the litter if possible i got sick and so did my baby when i was pregnant.
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you have never had a cat - DO NOT GET ONE WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT. If you have had your cat for years, you already have been exposed to his bacteria/germs every time you changed the litter pan or petted him after he pooped, and you are not at risk. However... don't go telling your husband that. Let him change it while you are pregnant. You'll get dizzy bending over like that when you get big and the smell will make you gag during morning sickness. I haven't had to chance kitty litter since I first got pregnant five year ago becaue its just now what hubby does as part of his chores. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yeah i have had my cat since i was 6 yrs old so i was hoping that i am still okay to be around her since she was my first baby after all (:
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• okay....to karamille ive had cats all my life, stayed w my mom and dad w 2 cats while my husband was away but my MIL got my son a cat, i am changing the litter, but i dont ocme in contact with the litter, so your saying i could get sick or my baby bc its a new cat? what are the symtoms and should i tell my ob we have a new cat
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i dont see why having cats is bad. Ive heard the old wives tale "suffocating the baby"...but never known cats to really do that. My suggestion is keep the cat, ask your dr., and don't worry :)
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010