Submission in Marriage

Do you submit to your hubby? Are you happy?

In contrast:
Do you make your hubby submit? Are you happy?

Or, of course, neither one does. Just a comparison here...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• My husband and I have been married almost 44 years, and we have what I consider to be a Biblically based marriage. He has been the leader of our home, not a dictator. There have been any number of times when I did not gracefully submit. Neither did he always lead as lovingly as he could have. We are human, and I would be lying if I said I had always been 100% deliriously happy. Marriage is the training ground for learning to lose our selfishness and learn how to do and be what is best for the other person. Happiness is more of a choice than anything else. I am content and we are both still learning what it really means to submit to one another.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• In any relationship it's a thing of pick your battles.
    Sometimes you have to be submissive and others you have to stand up and fight back.
    makaena

Answer by makaena at 6:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I submit to hubby on occasion but only if I feel like it LOL.
    He submits to me sometimes too.

There is no real defining line on submission. Its mutual around our home and usually only in the sexual dept.

DH is very good about wanting my opinion on all household matters and usually defers to me since Im here more often. But I wouldnt call that submissive either.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i pick and choice my battles but we talked about what we expected out of marriage and so far we have stuck to those things. we have the same faith which helps and therefore have the same values. so rarely do we disagree on issues. also saying that we rarely compromise cause it's all basically in order all ready. i submit to my husband but i speak my voice and he considers where i come from and sometimes he agrees and other times he doesn't. so we really work together and submit to each other.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• makaena
    In any relationship it's a thing of pick your battles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OP here.... in some relationships one person is always submissive to the other
    Anonymous

• I love the relationship my husband and I have. Personality wise, he is probably more submissive then I am. (Just naturally a more easy-going, passive person) I am more inclined to take the lead on things, I handle the finances, I resolved majority of conflicts from outside sources. Internally we discuss everything though. He and I love to hash things out with each other, since we are different and approach things differently, hearing each others opinion gives insight to stressful situation and sometimes answers the other couldn't see. I love what we have, totally non-traditional, we both exercise our strengths and grow from learning from each other.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Unlike NannyB, have a relatively young relationship (4 years), and I'm all for a traditional biblical marriage or relationship. But I AM a liberal and I do believe in equal rights, But everyone else is right pick your battles when you feel uneasy. Its not submitting, it's being the voice of reaon if a bad decision is made.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think we are pretty equal that way. I prefer for him to make the decissions, but I don't just sit there and let him do things I don't want or agree with. We compromise and it works for us!
    Anonymous

• My husband and I have about the same relationship as Serafyna!! He's very easy-going and has no problem with me taking charge of areas that I see need attention. But through these 4 years that we've been together it's been a huge growing experience for us and by sticking with each other we've grown closer as a couple. By no means was it easy and I was ready to throw in the towel many times, and even now when he reverts to the bachelor hood attitude, I wonder why I stay. But he is my best friend and I'm not sure I'll ever find another guy who enjoys talking with me like my husband. He is also my baby's dad and unless that man cheated on me, I will never separate the two of them. Oh about the submission part, I don't agree with some of the traditional ideas, but the one I do agree with is that the man should be the provider. As a mom, I can't see me working and not being home with my son.
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It goes both ways. Read Ephesians 9: 28-33, Thats the best answer your gonna get
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008