Did you ever have a teacher that said something that deeply impacted you/your view on something/etc.?

I recently did with my college English professor. Something he said the other day really helped me with something I'm going through because it helped me change my perspective on the subject.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in

• I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I hope that everything works out for the best. Best of luck to you and Thank you for sharing your story.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• What did he say, can you share? I have not have school teachers do that, but i have had some pretty cool people impact me & my views on something.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No, but my DH has.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I had one tell me in high school "the shit may have hit the fan but the fan is still going. Suck it up, the bad times will pass". Sounds a little off for a HS teacher, but I still remember that and tell myself the same thing every time I start feeling overwhelmed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• He was talking about critical thinking and got side tracked lol. He said that over the years he had had a lot of younger people come to him and ask him his opinion on them getting married. He said that he's been married twice and that he would always ask them, "Do you love them?" they would say yes, "Do you want to spend all your time with them? Do you feel like you can't live without them?" again, the answer was usually yes. Then he would tell them that he saw no reason for them to not get married, even if they were afraid that someday it wouldn't work out anymore. He said that you can't let the fear of the unknown and the future keep you from taking that leap of faith because you really don't know how it will work out, and if you don't take the chance, you could miss out on the best thing of your life. It helped me because my husband and I are getting divorced and it made me see that it's really not so bad (continued)
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• (Continued)
    because he and I were really in love, we really thought it was going to last forever, and we got our daughter out of it. We're still really close friends, we just don't have any romantic feelings for one another, any attraction, etc. anymore, and we both feel that we will be better off (and so will our daughter) if we divorce and move on with our lives. Before hearing all of that, I had been looking at it as a huge failure on my part (even though I don't really believe in marriage very much). I kept trying to figure out what I had done wrong and why I had failed even though I had tried for almost two years to save it. I was blaming myself for everything and what he said, for some reason, snapped me out of that mindset and helped me see that this one bad thing could lead to the most incredible experience of my life because maybe, just maybe, there's someone perfect for me out there.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Sorry that's so long! Basically, I just stopped seeing the upcoming divorce as being all my fault and the biggest failure ever. Now, I'm looking at it as a life experience that was possibly just meant to happen for some reason. I know that I don't regret my marriage at all, and I love my husband very much. He's my best friend, and we both agree that we just aren't meant for each other, we're too different, but the time we had together really helped both of us learn and grow as individuals.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

Next question in
How are your kids going back to school?

Next question overall
Which is funnier?