What do they do when they induce you?

I went and had an ultrasound friday and the baby is already almost 7 pounds at 34 weeks the woman doing the ultrasound said more than likely my dr will either make me have a c section early or put me on steroids to help with the baby's lungs then induce me! What exactly do they do when they induce you??

Asked by Rohrig at 2:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i've heard of babies being that size due to pregnancy diabetes. They let them get to 37 weeks and then they did a c-section since the baby wouldn't have fit thru her pelvis... again this is just what i've heard and it may depend on the particular doc/baby/mom circumstances

Answer by Ambreelulu at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• When I was induced, I went in at 6:30am and they started a pitocin IV. I was having contractions but didn't feel them at all. Then about an hour and 1/2 later they broke my water. It looks scary because they use a big long hook but it didn't hurt at all. Once my water broke, the contractions came on stronger and were only about 1-2 minutes apart. I felt those! I got an epidural and was ready to push by 1pm. My son was born at 1:52pm. It was a quick and easy labor and I thought that I would have 10 more kids if labor was always like that. Good luck!

Answer by NoJo at 2:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• all induce means is that they are going to artificially make you go into labor. no one knows exactly what makes a woman go into labor but they do know what hormones are involved. your dr. will prob give you pitocin through your IV. some dr.s use a cervical gel or cream that is supposed to make your cervix dilate. if what they do doesn't work then they will probably break your water with a long hook device. and if this is also unsuccessful then your dr. will prob do a c-section. but the best thing you can do while in labor or trying to go into labor is RELAX and think positive. you can do this, it just takes some time.

Answer by lilmommy81 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My induced labor was HELL!  All women are different though.

Inducing labor - BabyCenter

Find out how doctors induce labor and why it may be necessary.

Answer by vbruno at 3:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Break your water for you.

Answer by nineteen at 3:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• The ultrasound measurements are not accurate!! I was induced at 34wks for medical reasons and they said DD would be at least 6lbs ...She was 4lbs.... two lbs is a big difference, and the NICU is a horrible place to see your baby... If I were you just let her come on her own, your body was made for this! Women give birth to 10lb babies all the time!!LOL Good luck!! hopefuly s/he isn't that big though!!
    I.V., bed restrictions, internal monitoring, pitocin makes contractions harder and longer,the likelyhood of more interventions just go up from there.. Do alot of research before you say yes to an induction.. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Answer by mamaof2748 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• an ultrasound technician is not an MD, and doesn't have any business giving medical opinions!

Answer by lawmom623 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2008