Any other mom out there a waitress?

Do you work day or night shift? How many tips do you usually make in a day? Also what do you do to go above and beyond to make more money?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't waitress now, but I did in highschool, and paid my way thru beauty school waitressing. :) At the time min wage was $5 something an hour and I generally made about $10 an hour in tips. I found that the #1 thing customers liked was never having an empty glass. Don't even ask if they need a refill. If you look across the room and see their drink is half full, bring another full glass of what they are drinking to the table. If they ordered something that people often take a certain condiment with (ketchup, hot sauce, sour cream, et...) just bring it to the table either with their food or before their food is up. Both of these tips are great for 2 reasons: 1 - the customer loves having their needs anticipated and you being so thoughtful and.... equally important 2) it allows you to control how many trips you make to the table so they aren't waiting for soemthing while you are at another table.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i work tues and thurs nite. I average 50-130 a nite. A lot of your tips depend on the clientele and the type of restaurant you work at. If you are always significantly lower than the other servers, then I would say you need to work on your steps of service.

My biggest piece of advice is don't complain, and don't lie. If you make a mistake, say so honestly.

Enjoy your job. People like to be taken care of by someone who is having fun.

Don't rush seniors, and don't stereotype people the moment they sit down. I love to wait on Seniors and one tops, and most girls I know pass these kinds of tables up as much as possible.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010