Is it a hate crime? just a fire? Do you understand that fear?

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Authorities are investigating a fire that damaged at least one construction vehicle at a Tennessee site where a new mosque is being built.

Federal investigators won't say whether they believe the fire early Saturday was intentionally set at the suburban Nashville project, which has faced vehement opposition.

Still, a spokeswoman for the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro said the fire has frightened the area's Muslim community.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spokesman Eric Kehn said Sunday the investigation was still in an early phase. The FBI and local sheriff are also investigating.

The center has been in the community for decades, and the new facility represents an expansion. Opponents, while citing traffic and parking issues, have also implied the center would be a haven for terrorists.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I used to live close to MURFREESBORO and they hate Muslims. Absolutly hate them. In fact the church groups used to go door to door spreading the message of fear of what kind of world our children would be living in with these Muslims.

They are downright scary racist people. Glad I got the hell out of there!
    momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 4:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Don't you think it would be a good idea to wait till the investigation is over before jumping to conclusions?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

***
    LOL...Nates!! You're asking someone who feeds off of emotional knee-jerk reactions and assumptions to wait for facts before conjuring up a rational thought based on facts?! Impossible!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would be fearful! But I would at least wait until the evidence comes in before calling it a hate crime. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was set to scare Muslims, but there is always a small chance it was something else and a coincidence. I think, in general, people are too quick to jump on something as a hate crime. So I'd wait and see before labeling for sure!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I do understand the fear, and I also agree with Nates. I won't jump to any conclusions until an investigation has been completed and the findings made public. Just like it was wrong for Mayor Bloomberg to say that the time square bomber was “Home-grown, maybe a mentally deranged person or somebody with a political agenda that doesn’t like the health care bill…” Sometimes it's best to not assume we know the story before we know the evidence.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Oh I totally understand. The very thought that this could have been intentional... It opens a world of scary possibilities...

I get so sick of seeing people complain about how "barbaric" Muslims are when we have things like this (or cab drivers getting attacked in their cabs) happening right here. Do we forget that we are just as guilty of hate crimes ourselves? We see in our history people attacking/killing/harming blacks, gays, etc, etc, and there is a very real, very valid, fear that Muslims could be next on the list of those so mistreated....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We had some kids burn a construction vehicle in my town. Is that a hate crime? It doesn't matter what the construction was, who owned it, or why they burned it. It happened. Is it a hate crime?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would call it a hate crime, and I do know the fear.

Answer by older at 3:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have no idea if it's a hate crime, arson, or just an accidental fire yet.

However. I will say this. The harrassment, distrust, etc.. Of Muslims is spreading to other groups. There has been an uptick in the harrassment of Sikhs lately as well. Mainly because those who are fueling and are fueled by all this ignorant bigotry, don't know the differences between the Religions, ethnicities, cultures..etc.. that they are hating on..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Race Baiting Question Number 2,458
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010