my 8 month old baby girl just fell from the couch! i'm freaking out! she obviously cried her eyes out at first but now she seems to be ok. a little fussy. i'm worried! she hit her head and I don't know what to do or what to watch out for. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

she hit the side of her head

hellokittyemma

Asked by hellokittyemma at 3:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she hit her head, call your doctor
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Check to see if her eyes are dialiating. If she is acting ok she should be fine. Keep an eye on her.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 3:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• well....as long as she cried right away and is alert she should be fine. Take her in if she throws up or just seems out of it but my guess is she is ok. If you want to check her pupils...take her in a dark room or use a flashlight. They should be big in the dark and shrink when the light is shined in them...both pupils should be the same size.
    Good Luck...babies are tougher than they look.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My daughter fell once I took her to the hospital cause i was freaking out they told me babies are very resiliant(sp) as long as there is no bump that caves in they are most likely alright but can take them to be safe :) she will have a few more spills LOL Good luck
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 3:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yes, call your doctor, she will be ok, I have such experience
    Lolga

Answer by Lolga at 3:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• look out for vomitting & see if she's still playing normally, smiling, etc. & i wouldn't let her nap for at least an hour. give your doc a call for better advice on what abnormal symptoms/behavior to watch for. they should be on call in case of emergencies.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• thank you so much for your comments!
    right now she is playing. everything seems to be good so far.
    this is the 1st time she falls and i'm very freaked out.
    I will keep you girls posted
    hellokittyemma

Comment by hellokittyemma (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Every singe one of my kids have fallen off the couch or the bed before they were a year old! It happens and most likely your baby will be just fine! Honestly, unless she is throwing up or unconscious you really don't need to call the doctor. She'll get lots of bumps and bruises, and scrapes before she is even 18 months. I think it is just a normal part of life. :D Usually I think my kids cried more because they were scared, then because they were hurt.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Make sure to check the soft spot on the head. If its not bubbling up things should be okay. always check the eyes and if she falls and doesnt cry right away or vomits right away, go to the doctors.
    sheenathefat

Answer by sheenathefat at 4:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Relax.
    She's 8 months old not 8 days old. A couch just isn't that high off the floor to do damage. This is only the first in a long line of tumbles to come. Children are pretty resliant. Unless the fall was highter than two and a half feet , she was knocked unconscious, or the fall invovled bricks and concrete, don't worry about it. There is no need to call your doctor.

Just watch for neck pain, dilated pupils, vomiting, and other obviously odd behavior. You have a 99.9% chance of her being perfectly fine.

prepare yourself. She is going to fall a lot more.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010