what can i do to incourage my son to talkhis three

he is three years old he doesnt speak much just in his own launage he hear's two launage in the house espanol, english . i a m very concern .please help .

mayra1987

Asked by mayra1987 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Many times, children in bilingual homes take a little longer to talk. They are learning to think in two languages so it can take a little longer. He has twice as much to learn.

Also, if he is comprehending most of what you say (you tell him to do something and he does it), I wouldn't worry too much.

If you are concerned, please talk to your pedi about it. You are his mama and know him the best. Best of luck!
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• He should get a referral to a speech therapist.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• speech therapy couldnt hurt and if you talk to your local school you might be able to get help with funding and what i did is had the school evaluate both of my kids so i had nothing out of pocket . both of my boys have speech thru the school, and although it took sometime i seen major improvements.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2008