Anyone have one of those back up external devices for your pc?

Are they a good thing to get?
What kind do you have?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 3:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Shopping

• I have a Seagate external hard drive. It is great. It holds so much info and I don't have to worry if something happens to my PC. I recommend everyone get one.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No... I back up to Mozy online. It takes FOREVER for the initial back up, but subsequent ones go fast. I pay $5 a mont I think
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• But I also save my new pictures to CD about once a month or so and drop it off in our safety deposit box when I am at the bank. I highly recommend everyone having a safety deposit box. I used to work in insurance and it was soo sad when people had a catastrophic loss and lost so many irreplaceable things. And it didnt even need to be a house destroying fire. Even a small fire can do so much smoke damage and fire department inadvertantly do even more damage with all the water. Or even a roof leak or broken pipe can cause lots of water damage. Soo pay $15 A YEAR and get a safety deposit box to protect stuff like adoption papers, old family documents, CDs of pictures, and heirloom jewelry. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't have one yet, but I plan to get one. I am using flash drives, and never worried, but a friend of mine lost all her pictures because it "malfunctioned" or something.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 4:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We have an APC backup on each computer. We also have a 3 terabyte Ter Station that totally backs up both computers every single day. My husband is partner in an IT consulting company. Taking no chance here. We just upgraded the tera station from 1 to 3 terabytes and it was $179. The APC's..I have no idea what he paid for them and he isn't here to ask.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't have an actual backup hard drive or anything like but I do keep my pics and school work on a flashdrive.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• we got one to back up our photos and keep it in our fire safe
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes, mine is made by Hitachi. Holds a ton of stuff.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have an external hard drive. I also back up all of my photos to CD, and I keep copies of some files on multiple computers.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I use a flashdrive for now but I had a walmart brand external for like 30.00 that was ages ago.Depends on what you want on them. I think they're good to have. I need a one myself.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010