WWYD?

When we went out to visit family recently SIL arranged for a photographer friend of hers to take pictures of DD and SIL's DD. We just got the CD in the mail and were browsing through them. She actually SENT us several "finalized" pictures where she's photoshopped DD's eye color. She actually CHANGED DD's eye color from her natural dark chocolate brown to blue. Am I wrong to be offended by this? What the hell am I supposed to say? Do I just say something to the photographer? or to SIL (cause it's her friend)? Or just say nothing and delete them?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 4:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have your MIL give the photographer a chance to fix the "mix up." However, your MIL may find that it is no big deal. If that is the case - she paid for her product and if she is happy with it then so be it. If you are expected to pay for any copies you may receive then a simple, "no thank you" will do nicely. If asked why you can be polite and honest that you love the color or your daughter's eyes and what a shame to have them hanging as blue in your home when her true eye color is brown. Polite but nice. In the future, if the girls get their pictures made again - you can make a simple request. The request to not alter your child's features. Explaining you don't want her to get the idea that she isn't wonderful the way she is.  No need for drama.  Free is free - unless it isn't.  Then don't buy. Creating drama is just not worth it. You will only seem petty and stupid, while not true, do a drama free zone.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You can ask why she changed your daughters eye color and if I was paying for them I would be pissed and making sure I get my money back
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• OMG. I hope that was a mistake. Maybe her eye color wasn't showing up, she wasn't sure what color they were so she had them enhanced... but enhanced wrong. :( I would call the photog first and see if it was his mistake. Then take it up with her. Because if it truly isn't her fault, it might hurt her feelings that she went to all this hard work to arrange it and there's a problem.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Wow, that''s a hard one. I would be very upset, which when family is involved is kind of a recipe for disaster! I guess I would have to take a deep breath and then try very hard to ask why they changed her eye color. Then decide what to say depending on the response.

If I paid for the pictures, I would talk to the photographer directly and simpy say "These are lovely but I'll need you to change ___'s eye color back to brown. She doesn't have blue eyes. When can you have those back to me?"
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 4:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Well MIL is the one that's actually paying for the photo session, because she wanted pictures of the girls together. And as I hear it she gave a pretty low rate because SIL is a good friend. It still REALLY pisses me off though. I don't even like the idea of her including them in her portfolio. I sure as hell will NOT be able to use those for print.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I could understand if in the one picture you couldn't see very well... but you'd think it's FAR easier to simply reference one of the OTHER 138+ pictures to see what the correct color is. And sure colors are fun to play around with in photoshop, etc. I might be interested to know what I would look like with a different hair or eye color... but I wouldn't send that to the parents!
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• odd
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'd just ask them to change it back
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• are you sure she Photoshopped the color or maybe just did a "fix" for red eye ... which colors the eye blue (regardless of the orginal color -- trust me according to "fix" my dog has super blue eyes -- LOL

I would maybe just delete them and let gma know that those are not good.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would let them know that my child's eyes are brown, not blue and that you want the pictures to show her real eye color. I would also remind them that you are her mother, and you did not sign a waiver giving the friend permission to use your child's likeness for professional gain (aka- in a portfolio, for display at her studio.....).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010