Do you make your teenagers keep their rooms clean and beds made or do you just make them clean them up once in a while?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I got tired of policing them on this, so I made it entirely their problem and kept their doors closed. The one son kept his room reasonably neat, the other lived in a danger zone.

Answer by Bmat at 4:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Mine share a room, they are 16 & 17 and are pigs... I'm done picking up after them. I close the door, occasionally their dad goes ballistic on them and they have to clean it from top to bottom.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i make sure they have things off the floor.. that is my biggest peeve..lol as for the beds being made, nah, I'm not anal on that one...
    they know to keep it picked up and not to bad of a mess, because if it is, that only means there is more to clean when the time comes :)
    millerbunch

Answer by millerbunch at 4:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Probably once a week I tell him he has to clean his room. Usually i will warn him if your rooms not clean by Friday no one comes over or no video games. The rest of the week it is a mess. he is only 13.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's their room, as long as I can close the door and I don't have to go in and fall over things, I'm cool... My kids aren't teens, but that's how we are now and I can't see that changing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• They need to make the beds and keep it clean.
    HOWEVER, I will tidy up on Mondays when I clean house.
    And every once and a while if they had a hard night of homework or just need a break Ill make the bed for them... just to be nice.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My girls clean their own rooms. I am not so fussy that they have to be immaculate but I am not prepared to live with a mess. Bedmaking is easy as we use duvets.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My sons were expected to keep their rooms clean when they lived at home. Nothing on the floor, no dirty dishes, beds made, trash in the trash can, dirty clothes in the hamper, etc.. Keeping a clean space is simple if you always keep it clean and it helps you to stay organized. We started when they were young with that concept and by the time they were teens all 4 of my sons kept their rooms clean on their own, they hate mess. All are adults now and they keep their spaces (homes for 2, dorm room for 1 and Army barracks for another) in order.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Neither of those scenarios fit the way we handle it. They do some basic pick up, but we usually work together to actually clean my kids' rooms, no matter what their ages. Like my 6 yo says..."when you do chores by yourself, it feels more like work, but when we do them together it's more like fun!"
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I expect daily pick up of hazardous objects off of the floor, and to bring their cups out daily. Other than that I don't push the issue I was a slob at that age...I kind of think its part of learning how not to be a slob...cause at some point it drives you nuts! I keep the door closed, and the air freshners charged!
    4princes4me

Answer by 4princes4me at 10:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010