how do you discipline your kids?

do you do time out? take toys away, money? do you spank?

mommafrog3

Asked by mommafrog3 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take away what they really enjoy for a time period or give them a consequence that I know that they will not car for like a chore that I usually do that they hate to do. Which ever you do, you need to make sure you give a time limit so that they know for how long.

I have spanked but not often. I didn't have too. It did get the point across when I did it. sometimes it is needed just to get their attention. But this opens a whole debate. All I can say is that I didn't do it often but when I did it was deserved and it was only a swat or two.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• All of the above... We tend not to take toys because our kids share just about all the toys and to take it from one takes from both, so unless they are both in trouble we don't feel it's right to punish both for the acts of one. However, we do timeouts, loss of privileges, "room time," spankings, talking to's and whatever else we feel fits the crime.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• With my daughter who is 5 its varies what works for her, most times timeout is totally a joke to her, or she will scream at the top of her lungs for five min which in our small apartment gets very intense to say the least. I swear our neighbors must think were killing her lol. Mostly though whats been working lately is taking away stuff she really likes like her favorite video game, shes a pretty good kid though so this doesn't happen often
    Alyia72

Answer by Alyia72 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Man oh man....i read through these posts and i really have to say that i have very well behaved kids. Screaming at the top of their lungs, lying, getting out of bed etc...well ok. So here is what we do in our home.

If a situation is life threatening or can injure someone or themselves and a warning has been issued- we spank-this hardly ever happens anymore. After a spanikin' we explain the danger, say we love them, and hug. If there disobedience to a house rule, i take a day of friends away, a toy, DS or whatever they care about, and calmly remind them why they lost it and make them repeat what i said so it gets through, and also i know they heard me. :) I said once and i say it again...kids need boundaries and stability. :) I'm the parent not them!
    MartaJoy

Answer by MartaJoy at 8:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I take my 8 year old sports away. It hits him hard. I know its not fair to the team but he has practice every night and 2-4 games a weekend. That is what he lives for. Once he gets older coaches will do the same.
    luvmyjob3

Answer by luvmyjob3 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010