DO ANY OF U LET UR ELEM KIDS WALK HM FROM SCHOOL?

THIS IS THE FIRST YR WE LET OUR KIDS WALK FROM SCHOOL. THEY ARE 9..8..& 7. ITS ABOUT A 2 BLOCK WALK. THERE ISNT ANY STREET CROSSINGS AND THERES A MOMMA PATROL AT THE END OF THE BLOCK THEN THERRS ME WAITING OUT FRONT FOR THEM. WHAT DO U ALL THINK?

GUDMOMMY86

Asked by GUDMOMMY86 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like yours will be great!!! I let mine start walking in the 4th grade but they have to walk with a friend, never alone.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Never... I live 1 mile from the elementary school and we only have crossing guards for two blocks around the school. Our neighborhood is also littered with offenders....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son is not old enough for school yet but I don't think I will ever let him walk to or from school. There are just too many kids that get taken anymore and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him. But that's just me. As long as you have mommy patrols and people watching the kids, I guess it would be ok.
    Bobby1988

Answer by Bobby1988 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If other kids are going and there is a momma patrol right there, I wouldn't worry, but make sure they understand that NEVER for ANY reason can one of them walk off. Even if they get mad at each other. As long as they are together and other kids are there, it should be fine, but if one of them gets mad and walks off away from the group, that's asking for trouble.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Last year my kids (then 7, 8 and 9) walked to school every day. It was 1 1/2 blocks up and 1 1/2 blocks over from our house (those are city blocks which are pretty long). The school wouldn't allow them to leave and walk on their own, though. They had to be in 5th grade (oldest was in 4th) otherwise they would have walked home, too. They loved walking to school on their own. It made them feel grown up.
    We've since moved and now they will walk to and from the bus stop which is down the street from us. And if they miss the bus they get to trudge the almost 2 miles to the school on their own. Well, maybe half way. I'd probably walk with them half the way. It would be a lot shorter if the tracks didn't run behind our house or we could cross them there instead of almost a mile away at the first street that goes over them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Starting this year we're considered walkers. Our neighborhood gets a bus K-2nd grade. my oldest is now in 3rd. We're exactly one mile from our front door to the school and it's on a fairly highly traveled road with several cros streets that can also be a bit high on traffic at different times of day. Most of our neighbors drive their kids in. Mine will walk BUT I will be walking with them. There's no way they're going that far on that road alone.

On the other hand, there are plenty of kids who live closer to the school who do walk on their own. If we lived and had a walk situation like you've described I might be open to letting them try it next year (they'd be 4th and 2nd then.)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• nah..he's just in KGarten..and i don't work anymore (yeah!), so i'm thrilled to be able to take him and pick him up.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 1st and 3rd graders school bus literally picks them up and drops them off at our front door. So, no problem there! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• On paper I only live a few blocks from the school, but because the school in on the next hill over they would have to walk nearly a half a mile mostly uphilll... So, no, I would let them ride the bus though and walk from there it they wanted though, it's only a few blocks down hill. If they go to my grandmothers house though, they can walk if they want to, it's almost a straight shot from the school to her house about 4 blocks... My gram can walk to the corner and watch them the whole way if she wants too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't. She's only in kindergarten and we have to make eye contact with the bus driver at drop off or she can't get off the bus. Plus we live about half a mile away, on a very busy street. Maybe around 3rd grade or something.
    What you describe and the ages of your kids, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It sounds pretty safe.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010