How can I get my husband to stop using curse words...

Ok so here is my situation my husband loves to listen to his music rap hip hop which i dont mind, he also uses the f word like it's no big deal all the time. it's just that he listens to it in the car with my 9year old step son and I tell him I dont like for him to play that music with suck ugly words. My problem is that we have 2 daughters together and they are still babies but when they start getting a lil older the same thing goes for them too..I don't want to hear those words around them. I feel like our raising ways are different too. I don't like for my stepson to hear those words or sing the songs. Same with movies I do not allow for him to see movies that are about sex or use alot of curse words but when he goes with his real mom or aunt they take him to go see those movies. We have had custody of him since he was 2 1/2 and I feel like I'm stuck what should i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• With my husband just everytime that he cussed I reminded him that the kids were going to start saying it. He eventualy "cleaned up" his language, but it took a while. And he does still listen to the music, but our kids are never in his car, so it's not really a big deal to me
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• this is a hard one. too bad you didn't ask him to change before you committed yourself. then you could of left if he didn't. anyway kids grow and learn through example and i'm glad that your the one setting the bar higher. if talking with him about how you feel isn't working then i'm sorry to say that the answer doesn't lay here with cafemoms. some people really do not see the harm in curse words and hip hop music. it's too bad. the only way of knowing how to get rid of that is by bringing in something else that would make them feel ashamed of their dirty mouth. maybe a grandmother or religion. try a neutral party to try to see each others point of view. if nothing comes into play just set the example as best you can and hopefully they will choice the right one on their own. good luck.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have a similar problem with my husband. He comes home from work, where cussing is like their first language, and every other word is f* that and G*d* this. I have been trying really hard to work on my own language and then I have to constantly remind him that we don't want our son's first word to be f*! I think he tries, but just doesn't get it, since most of his friends cuss like sailors LOL.

If you can, try to have your kids hang out with adults and kids that don't cuss, and hopefully they'll understand later on that not everyone uses that kind of language. If you are in the car with the kids, tell him you'd rather listen to your favorite music. Hope this helps!!
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• First of all get a cuss jar and take it everywhere you guys go and butterflyevery time he cusses make him deposit $5 and not only will this make him more aware of how often he says that you will have extra money for things you need. You can't protect your children from bad behavior from people just make him an example by saying that is a really ugly word daddy is using it doesn't sound good and make sure to enforce that every chance you can before you know it your kids be correcting daddy bad mouth themselves.

1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 8:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008