How hard is it to dye waist length hair yourself?

I've never even had my hair dyed before and I'm turning 34 next week and have noticed several sporadic grey hairs lately. I have waist length (slightly longer actually) dark brown hair. I just want to keep it the same color and I'm only doing it to cover the grey. I really don't want to pay a lot to get it done at a salon because I know it will be a lot of money with my length but since I've never done it before, I don't want to mess up. Thanks for any help!

Julie1976

Asked by Julie1976 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I've never found it to be difficult... My hair is rarely shorter than that and I've never had anyone but me do it... Buy yourself a cheap shower cap or use a plastic bag to keep it all up on top your head while you're waiting for the color to set rather than letting it hang, beyond that it's no big deal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Make sure you buy 2 kits as you will run out with just 1:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have waist length hair and die mine all the time.. It is very easy just make sure you do the underneath if you put it up. You will also need to buy to bottles and another thing you dont have to dye the long hair every month.... I die the top only and about every three months die the hair that hangs.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You will only need to do your roots area try to pick a similar colour to your hair not darker. Yes get 2 boxes. Natural Instincts is a great product and a semi permanent which means it will gradually fade & you can leave it on for 20 minutes to cover the gray good and no damage to the hair. I use it every 7 weeks or so. Good Luck.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It shouldn't be that hard. However, you may need more than 2 boxes for hair that length (2 is what I need when my hair is at my shoulder blades). I'd get 3...
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• go to a stylist.

there is no point in over processing your hair with box colors.. or messing it up with uneven coverage..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• true^^....however, if you insist on doing it yourself...

1-take your time and make sure you apply ENOUGH product where you need it. if you're only covering sporadic grays, do what i call a 'search and destroy'..only color where you see the gray areas. (if you're matching the haircolor with your natch, of course.)
    2-if you have to choose between two color choices, not sure which one to use..PICK THE LIGHTER SHADE! its easier to recolor to a darker shade, than it is to get a too-dark color lightened. (most people think their natural hair color shade is darker than what it actually is.)
    3-read the directions completely!

a little color removal tip: save that little bit of left-over color in the bottle. if your skin stains (hairline, etc), you can use it to remove the color stain. works everytime! just fingertip your towel into the product, and rub lightly over the skin to remove the stain. (does not work on fabric, sorry!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would go professional if you can.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Make sure you buy 2 kits!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I definitely agree. Buy two kits if your hair goes past your bust. You will run out with just one, and even though you are only coloring to cover greys, you'll want to give it all a boost (since the greys likely extend past your roots).

As for difficulty... it should be about the same as any other first time hair dye job. If you can, I'd ask a friend to come help you.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010