Punishment for an 8 yr old girl who lies all the time about everything...ideas would be helpful.

This is my fiances daughter...this has been going on for about 6 months and is getting worse...something needs to be done. Any ideas would be great on how to get her to stop. She lies because she doesnt want to get into trouble and she also doesnt know how to stop lying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• might wanna get her tested for Aspergers. If she's got it, then she can't help it, its some annoying symptom of it in their brain.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I wonder myself, I am in similar situation, I just ignore the lies or if I can't ignore i will confront and sd will change the subject. Her mother is actually a liar and I think sd might think it is normal. The kind of lies that can be easily detected, so annoying but I do sympathize with you, sorry i can't help.
    DKK2010

Answer by DKK2010 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Rule out Zoeyis' advice first, you never know if it is something she can't help. But if it turns out that she knows exactly what she is doing, take away everything fun... TV, toys, video games, etc... Tell her she can get them back one at a time each time she tells the truth. Take them all away again if you catch her in another lie and continue on until she realizes that her lying has huge consequences. Good Luck!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have to agree with shanlaree. My daughter is almost 10 and I catch her in lies all the time. I think figuring out why she lies about certain things will help. Like, she doesnt want you mad at her or to be disappointed. That's what I figured out when my daughter lies all the time. Getting to the root of it has helped, she still lies from time to time. I caught her in one yesterday.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 5:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If it were Aspergers, lying wouldn't be the first thing you notice. Actually, Aspergers do not normally lie. It's not that they can't lie, as some people think, they just usually don't. They will tell you what they think you want to hear at first, but when questioned will usually tell the truth and they can also have disillusions of grandeur, but they typically don't just out right lie. But they CAN help it and can be taught not to.
    Onto the question;
    Does your fiance have custody of her? Maybe this is a symptom of something going on at mom's if she spends most of the time with her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 8 year old is the same way. I have tried everything and she doesn't care about the getting in trouble. However, she is the opposite at school. At school the teacher ask her everything because she tells the truth all the time. It is crazy. I honestly think it is an age thing.
    morbidkeeb

Answer by morbidkeeb at 1:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2010