omg..she's so hard headed

i feel like i cannot handle my dd right now. she's sweet as can be, but can turn into a terror in a second. i'm exhausted and sick, so i know it's getting to me easier..but i cannot get a handle on her right now. she doesn't listen,..you tell her no and she does it anyway, you out her in her room to let her have a fit out in there, and she screams at the door and makes herself sick..she's absoultely horrible to the dog,..pulls his hair, pulls his legs, and the poor dog doesn't even budge..she has never been like this with the dog until the past week or two..today i found her on the counter, and our counters are a little higher than normal. i'm consistent in disciplining her, and i try to explain why she's in trouble once she calmed down...i'm to a point that i'm ready to throw in the towel..i've tried everything...and at this point i don't know what to do. i really need advice from moms who have already been through this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just be consistant. If you tell her no and she still does it, put her in time out and make her stay there until you think she is ready to get up.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• She would be in her room... She knows that she can get to you and she pushes your button.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i feel ur pain my daughter is the same way n she is only 22 months
    allison713

Answer by allison713 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think it takes trial and error to see what works for each kid, and kids are going to test you and be defiant.... its perfectly normal, so I think keeping that into perspective may help the situation. Also not expecting a child to be perfect... this will only cause frustration, but rather look at it as an opportunity to direct and discipline in a loving and calm manner. If each time you find yoursefl getting frustrated and upset I would not say a word to her... but rather take her out of the situation and yourself out of the situation. For instance, if my son is throwing toys and I'm really irriated and upset to where I want to really yell at him etc., I would take him away from the toys, or the toys away from him without saying a word and go into the other room until I"m calm enough to address the situatiolso, with kids at the age, you reasoning with them is not the way to go, but rather use more actions and less words.....
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• simple is best :)
    Also look at when and why she may be throwing these fits... is she overtired, teething, hungry, overstimulated etc? If a child is not feeling well they may tend to act up more and have a harder time getting out of their fits. My 2 yr old has been having a hard time with temper tantrums that seem to last forever.... but I notice he tend to throw them when he's really tired... and because his molars are coming in and they really have been bothering him :(
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If your being consistant it will work out. When she is unkind to the dog explain it hurts the dog and set her in a time out chair. My 2 year old was a wild one now I just say time out chair and he usually stops just hearing the word. Good luck.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If I let my son cry it out, he would literally make himself sick to the point where he would be upchucking from so much distress. Since they are little they don't always listen and it makes it difficult and tough to get through to them sometimes. Allowing them to scream for any period of time didn't work for me, since I couldn't listen to them scream or it made them ill to scream too long. What worked for me is to redirect all that energy. I found just saying "no" didn't really mean anything to them after a while. If she hurts the dog, the best way to intervene is to correct her, by showing her the correct way to pet the dog. Tell her she is hurting the dog and we treat the dog nicely. If he grabs for the tail, or to pull on the dog, take her hand and pull it away. Then say we don't do that. Maybe the action and your words will start to make her realize she is doing wrong.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• momma you have to be THERE and directing her to better activities not just DISCIPL:INING and punishing her.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my son can and will out scream me anyday - he could and has gone for what feels like forever so that doesn't work in our house either - It sounds like she is strong willed like my son and IS and WILL test you every step of the way - I found that I had to Accept that about him and it made it 1000 time easier to deal wtih , I also bought some books on how to understand the strong willed personality as I can not relate as I was a pleaser..( my husband is the strong willed also ) I am taking parenting classes because no's and yelling goes right past him as if he's not hearing it - Its SO tough but hang in there - there were mayn days and I know still more to come heading in to the 3's soon that I will feel like throwing in the towel but these type of kids are just more diffuclut to figure out what will work in this area - I can relate to your feeling but remember its just a bad day...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I feel for you. I had similar feeling when my first was little. That was 19 years ago and things are different now with my twins whom are 1 years old. I am much more patient and I think I talk more and get upset less. It is calming to them. Maybe take some parenting classes. Get some ideas of how to deal with specific behaviors. It will get easier! Hang in there! Enjoy these years. You will miss them very much someday! Get on her level and play with her!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010