Term Life or Whole Life? What do you have and why?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 5:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• 30 year term - 350K on each of us. Once 30 years is up, we won't really need to stay insured for 350K, for our children will be grown and out of the house. Well, they better be. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• 30 yr term - 2 million on my husband and 1 million on me.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Forgot the why part....you are supposed to do approx. 10 times the amount of your annual salary and if you are a stay at home mom like me they advise that you do half of what the breadwinner is insured for. We did 30 yr term because really the point of insurance is to take care of our children in the event that something happens to either one of us.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We have whole life. Before we started Dave Ramsey's plan, that's what we went with so that we could have something to "show" for our money, now we realize how silly that is. BUT, when we tried to switch to term life, we were told our premiums would be 4 times what they are now because we are older and I've developed diabetes since taking out the whole life plan. So, we'll stick with the whole life until it reaches it's maximum value, then cash it out. Our children will be adults by then and we can invest that money.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Term for $250,000.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010