What is the best pet for a 2yr old to take care of any suggestions

amber_nicole82

Asked by amber_nicole82 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pets

• I dont know. Pets are a lot of work.. Fish? I dont know if a 2yr old would be ready for a pet. seems young to me
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 2:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• You want something that is going to live for awhile like a dog or a cat! Other animals die too soon for him to understand. If you decide to get a dog I would recommend a boxer. Go to the akc website and they tell you all about what dogs do what. This is what they say about the boxer
    "One of the breed's most notable characteristics is its desire for human affection, especially from children. They are patient and spirited with children, but also protective, making them a popular choice for families." - www.akc.org
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• goldfish
    nineteen

Answer by nineteen at 3:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• A 2 year old won't be much help at all. We bought my son a Betta fish, and he likes to look at it sometimes. I wouldn't get a gerbil or anything that will stink though.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Id say a small dog. A 2 yr old can help feed and water and play but you have to be careful they arent too rough. I personally wouldnt get a 2 year old a pet unless its more for the family and not so much them.
    houseof7

Answer by houseof7 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• A 2 year old is NOT old enough to care for a pet. A pet is another life with complex needs. If your 2 year old wants a "pet" of his/her own, buy one of those "fur real friends" toys. A real animal is not a toy!
    Anonymous

• fish is a good one since they are cheap and can be replaced easily if something happens.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 4:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My 2 year old daughter is not in charge of any of our pets, but my 4 and 5 year old boys are. We have pet rats that they help me with and they also take care of feeding and watering our cats.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I don't think a 2 year old is ready to take care of ANY pet.
    Mommie2Two

Answer by Mommie2Two at 5:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• a fish is a good pet for that age its fun for them and they can see it grow and just get older and if it dies theres sooo many gold fish
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2008