Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What are the rights, if any?

A friend of mines is living with her bf's mom. He stays there too. They have a child together. Everytime the mother gets upset with them (if they wont do what she wants) she threatens to kick them out. They have an agreement with them being able to live there. Even keys. Is it true that if they have been living there for more than 30 and have keys and she allowed them to stay without paying rent, she cannot just kick them out, but has to go through the legal process of having them evicted?


Asked by reigndrops12689 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 18 (5,137 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • It's my understanding that when you are on Section 8, you can not have anyone that is not on the lease living with you. She could get kicked off of Section 8 if they found out. Maybe your friend can come back at her with that. If they are going to continue to stay there.

    Answer by Cindy18 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • It probably varies state to state. Some places if they are on the lease they dont have to go some places she would have to go to a court and they would have to be evicted, who would want to live like that though, they were old enough to make a child they should be looking for their own place if they are constantly being threatened to be kicked out on the street.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Hmmm, I've never heard of that. I would assume that she has every right to kick them out, especially if she is the only owner of the property. Could be different in other states though.

    Answer by shanlaree at 6:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Does their "agreement" involve official papers signed by all parties? Or just a verbal agreement?

    Answer by shanlaree at 6:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Theyre new place wont be ready until next month. I told her to just come to Jersey until its ready instead of having to deal with that woman. The lady is on section 8 and only pays 48 a month. She just wants money to support her habit. They were paying 160 a month each to sleep on her floor. I wouldnt have done it. Aint like she needs help with rent. IDK it just bugs me.

    Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Verbal.

    Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Thats what I said Cindy. She could also have to pay back money to them. She was at some point getting 320 a month from them. With rent being only 48 bucks thats freaking ridiculous. I dont know why she wont threaten back to atleast buy time for the new home to be ready. I cant stand her inlaws.

    Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • even with a verbal agreement they have rights to live there. she would have to follow the legeal guidelines for her state to actually kick them out. however. what adult child wants to put thier parents through a legal process of eviction? if they are fighting that much and cannot be greatful for having a place to live its time to move on;.

    Answer by sati769leigh at 6:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • In most states, she would have to formally evict them in order to get the police or sheriff's department to have them leave. It does take about 30 days and it is a court process. If the house they are living in is section 8 or public housing, the housing department would still have to do a formal eviction. The police are not going to escort anybody off the property with out the formal/court eviction.

    Answer by emilex at 6:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • unless they get arrested, which means they committed a crime and is not related to their living on the property. :)

    Answer by emilex at 6:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

Next question in Just for Fun
Worst name ever?