Sex Ed in school...?

my daughter (14) came to me yesterday saying that she was dissapointed when she had one, yes just ONE sex ed lesson at school. she said, what they told them about was both useless and couldnt prevent STDs or pregnancy. i think someone seriously needs to do something about the education our kids get in school. According to my daughter and her friends, the boys and girls were put together in a classroom to look at pictures of STDs and to listen to the nurses explain how painful they were. There was no mention of condoms or teen pregnancy or other birth control methods. i felt angry and frustrated at how my daughter was supposed to have had sex ed and i still had to explain the basics to her a few weeks later. she's a bright girl, and im not concerned about her sexual safety, but what about the other girls and boys in that class that didnt go to their parents about the appalling education?

animemom0012

Asked by animemom0012 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Id raise a question to the school about the incomplete sex ed class.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i think is not a bad thing half time kids go by wat they see on tv. but they should get a speaciallist(sp) bot just any old person teaching
    allison713

Answer by allison713 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We are the first line of defense as parents.. It's our job to teach and prepare our kids whats right and wrong good or bad. It was great she came to you and you are able to fill in what was missing. This way she has what is needed to make the choice if and when it is time for her to choose.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I believe that parents should be the ones who teach their children about sex ed , that being said yes some kids wont get the lessons from their parent but it sounds like they arent getting good lessons either in that class. Then there is always the whole should we teach abstinence or hand out condoms in class parenst wont be able to agree. It falls on the parents!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i felt angry and frustrated at how my daughter was supposed to have had sex ed and i still had to explain the basics to her a few weeks later..

Your upset because you had to tell her things like a parent should(That is our job as parents);) After my sex ed class I still asked my mother questions.But I dont get HOW they didnt teach about Condoms and BC!Mabye another calss?

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010