Home remedies for a possible ear infection

I think I might have an ear infection...not sure. My ears are quite sore but so is my throat. Last night I had a fever of 102 and felt absolutely terrible whole body was achy. Don't have any desire to do the antibiotic thing...yet so wondering if anyone know of something else I can try?

bookworm23

Asked by bookworm23 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• Mucinex or over the counter medication for sinuses such as sudafed. It could be that fluid is trapped around your ear and your sinuses so drying that fluid up might help. Is your nose stuffy? If so, you could try the neti pot or the neil med. Those seem quite helpful for our family.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 6:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Imo plz go to the er or to your dr...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• A little warm (just barely warmed) olive oil. Put a couple of drops in your ear and it should soothe it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I was told a teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the ear is good for ear infections. It needs to be applied more than once to be affective. I would think you need some over the counter medicine to reduce the fever and help the body fight the infection. Get well! Hope this helps.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree, go to the doctor get some antibiotics before this infection spreads and you get really sick. You can also ask the doctor for some ear drops that help kill the pain in the ear. I got one of those Neti pots in the mail as a sample, but I don't think I could use it. While I was getting over an ear infection, a warm wet facecloth placed over the ear, help to relieve the pain. But, please go to the doctor.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 6:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You need to open the eustachian tube. Take muscinex-D during the day, and regular Musinex + benadryl at night. If that doesn't work, your going to need an antibiotic.

karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• peroxide works, sweet or castrol oil. a capful of either an then a cotton ball in ur ear so it wont leak out
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Warm garlic drops, which can be found in natural health food stores. Garlic is a natural antibiotic.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i used a few drops of olive oil once for my hubby. he thought i was crazy but it worked. just a few drops and put a cotton ball in. i did it before he went to bed and in the morning he felt better. i did it once a night for 3 nights and then it was gone. good luck! i hate going to doctors!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I hate antibiotics no matter what kind I always feel even more crappy while on them. Currently I don't have a fever if it comes back tonight I may have to seek medical attention...hope not! I tried the blow dryer trick and some Buckley's Complete. If I can get my headache to settle down I'll go shopping and get some fresh garlic and Advil cold or something to clear up congestion. Thanks for the answers!
    bookworm23

Comment by bookworm23 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010