caffeine and weight loss

What is the best way to cut down on a caffeine habit? I tried going cold turkey lastnight. Only thing that resulted in was a big headache and my hands shaking for hours. I did drink 8 glasses of water, with crystal light. Something I haven't done in a long time.

Since May I've been trying to lose 40lbs. I know the pop drinking probably has alot to do with that. Since I've already cut down calories that I eat. And started doing some exersize videos a week ago. If I cut pop completely or atleast to 1-2 a day will it help me lose weight?

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, as long as you don't replace the soda with something else high in calories. The best thing to do is look up a BMR calculator to find out how many calories your body burns per day. Try www.bmrcalculator.org and scroll down to see how many more calories your body burns with different activity levels. Remember that 3500 calories are equal to 1 pound of fat so say your BMR says you burn 2000 calories per day, you take in only 1500 calories that day leaving you with a deficit of 500 calories. Do that for 7 days straight and you end up losing 1 pound of fat. Of course this is just an example and your BMR is just an estimate, but it does help you set a realistic goal. Good luck.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes. It will DEFINATLY help to cut it out completely!

I don't know of any tips or advice.

But the headache and shaking is a withdrawal symptoms. Maybe back it down one at a time, each day have one less, till your down to just one a day and then drop it totally.
    The withdrawal symptoms shouldn't last more than a few days if you go cold turkey.

Good luck!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you are drinking regular soda, yes it will help you loose weight by cuting back.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Ween yourself off of caffeine if you don't want headaches. When I quit drinking caffeine while pregnant I switched over to Water Joe (caffeinated bottled water) first while I broke myself of the taste of soda, then swapped out my Water Joe for regular water. Of course now I drink low cal coffee drinks and iced tea with splenda. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes, it will help. That's how my cousin lost 40lbs, she cut back on the caffine and ate more healthy.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 6:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I used to drink 7-8 sodas a day, then I cut down to 1-2 per day. Then after I had mastered that I completely cut soda out. It was hard for about the first 3 days but after that I felt great. Just cutting out the soda helped me lose 15lbs.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 7:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's the caffeine. Just drink tea or something instead. It's a lot easier to wean off of. Good luck.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 7:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• wow a caffeine addiction .. gl!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2010