when do u switch to stage 2 baby food?

my DD is a little over 6 months old and we started her on baby food about a month ago. she eats 2 times a day. it seems like once she is done with the jar she still wants more? but she is not fussy when i stop feeding her. she has her 2 front teeth in and she can sit on her own if that makes a difference. i EP so she gets the full 32oz a day of breast milk a day as well. so do i switch to stage 2 baby food?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say you can slowly introduce her to some stage 2 foods. but if remember the stage 2 foods have more in them but dont have that much of a difference in the conistency? if so i would say go ahead. if its just the amount it wont hurt to try. as far as the stage foods where they start to put little noodles and such in it, i would wait until she gets a few more teeth and then try it. honestly though once you have started baby foods and are past just bottles and ceral play it by ear of what you and your baby are comfortable with. good luck :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You don't really ever need to use the "stage 1". Many people start with stage 2. The only difference is that some of the stage 2 will have more than one ingredient, and the jar is bigger. Go ahead and get stage 2, if you are still doing single foods then just buy those. Better yet, get a ripe banana and/or avocado and mash it with a fork. You can buy the "regular" full sized jars of unsweetened apple sauce, you don't need to buy baby applesauce. Cook a sweet potato and mash it with a fork.

Keep in ind that all of the "stage1,2,3" etc. is 99.9% marketing gimmick. You can skip that aisle in the store altogether.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Babies don't need baby food. You can fork mash food and let your baby feed herself. It's better for her, cheaper, tastes better, and better for the environment.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I switched once they sampled all the stage 1 and were no longer filled up by 1 little jar. I also skipped stage 1 for some foods or only got them 1 time. It's more economical to buy stage 2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I never used the stage ones, I did for my first son, when my second came, I didn't bother with those tiny little jars and my son did fine. I even mosty with my second, pureed and mashed most of the food I made. Your sone will let you know when he is ready for more advanced food.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 7:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We never did jar stuff. We went straight for table food and didn't do spoon feeding either (they don't need teeth to eat regular food, my 11 month old has on teeth and eats whole apples). Check out baby led solids mealsharing is much more practical and fun and babies like to self feed. Don't worry if they play and explore rather than eating at first, its part of the process.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you want to stick to jar foods now is fine. Stage 2 is 6 months or when they can sit unassisted. (it has the sitter logo on it). If you want to do fork mashed foods like banana, avacado, sweet potato etc thats fine at this age as well :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2010