Why are we faithless?

This has been something I have noticed. Chrsitians tend to call non-believers faithless. Is it because we have no faith in your god, or do you generally think we have no fiath in anything?

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's hard to have faith when my brain keeps thinking & pondering things that no one can answer & I can't have faith in any religion that thinks they are the only correct way.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I never understood that either. I have plenty of faith- in myself, in others and so on.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Faith mean to believe in something very strongly even when you can't see it or prove it absolutely. So you can believe in yourself but faith usually means belief in supernatural beings such as God. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree with RyansMom. I tend to think of faith differently than belief and esteem.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Not neccesarily. Most people THINK that is what it refers to, but we have to have alot of faith on a daily basis without it being directly influenced by anything supernatural. LIke we have faith that the power won't go out in the middle of the night and we will wake up on time the next morning. See what I mean? Faith is an extremely subjective thing and does not always mean something supernatural.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I know there are different uses of the word "faith" and that's fine. I just use the spiritual, non physical definition. I think of the things you mentioned as tangible to everyone with no supernatural belief necessary. It's all in how you look at it I guess. :)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Because God is faith, if you don't believe in him, you are faithless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Hmmm... I've often wondered that myself. I mean, there are many other spiritual things to believe in, so that whole 'faith is believing in something more supernatural' kind of thinking doesn't necessarily apply only to the Christian God. Faith in other spiritual things and in anything outside ourselves should apply to this "faith" they speak of.

However, we all know that to some Christians (not all, because I consider myself Christian) think that faith only applies to their God, and nothing else.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• there is a difference between faith and hope... you hope the power doesnt go out not you have faith that it wont go out.

Faith is trusting something you cannot necessarily see. Hope is the feeling of what can be had or that the events will turn out for the better.

When someone is faithless they lack a trust in something they cannot see or find proof of. It is lacking confidence.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• "Because God is faith, if you don't believe in him, you are faithless"
    What gives you the right to say this? Are you God? I will agree that believing in God REQUIRES faith, but not that believing in him IS faith. And do you not have faith that your husband/boyfriend/fiance/SO will not cheat on you?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010