Starting a homeschooling co-op (group)?

Does anyone have any tips on how to start a group, co-op? Advice? Anything? Thanks!

To Those That's Don't Homeschool or do not approve: PLEASE do NOT turn this into a debate or make comments how MY children should "go" to school. I do NOT want to hear them in this question. I just want to stick to the topic at hand "How To Start A Homeschooling Co-Op group?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in

• I help run a co-op group. We use meetup.com for our group, because it's easy to navigate. We meet once a week at the park for play/class time. Sometimes we have structured activities, sometimes we just let the kids play. We do field trips and parties once or twice each month. Our group has about six moms who all take an active role in planning events, this way no one member becomes overwhelmed. Two moms work on planning field trips. Two moms work on running the weekly co-ops, and two moms work together to plan parties and other activities. We have all become such close friends, and our kids have become really close as well. Our group started small, and in just one year has grown to about 60 families. If you have more questions, or just want to bounce around some ideas, feel free to pm me.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I just checked amazon. Would you believe there is a bk on the topic! neat. Good-luck.
    Homeschool Co-ops: How to Start Them, Run Them and Not Burn Out by Carol Topp
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Also when I googled "How to start a homeschool co-op" plenty came up.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• First check to see if there is already a homeschooling group near you- http://www.home-school.com/groups/IL.html

If not, or if there is not one that you are looking for, then I would make a few flyers annoucing your home school group and leave them at librarys, book stores, local zoo's, parks, etc. You may also want to create a website dedicated to your homeschool and list a few things that you would like to accomplish this school year such as field trips, special topics, guest speakers, etc. Basically, get the word out and it will grow. For more ideas and tips check out - http://homeschool.lifetips.com/cat/64324/homeschool-co-op/index.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• 1) I HAVE been googling! I was looking more for "real" life tips and advice.
    2) There ARE groups near me, however I and a local mom have decided to break away from our CURRENT group and start our own. The group is fine, but it doesn't really fit our needs. The other groups would fit our needs more but it cost everything including the kitchen sink to be apart of the group. The one group charges $50 membership; $12 per child facility fee; PLUS $50-$100 PER CLASS/Activity. We can't afford that! Our current group has been running me about $90 a year for BOTH of my kids. So we want to start our own group a group that would fit our needs more AND be within our price range. :) Another local group cost $600 per month!

THANK-YOU JeremysMom for the advice regarding flyers, website, etc. I also appreciated the site listing homeschool group, but I have to tell NONE of the our local groups are listed. LOL
    SAHMinIL2

Comment by SAHMinIL2 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Try making a Yahoo group? My Aunt and I are thinking about doing this. Right now it is all about word of mouth. Just tell any other HS Moms you know about activities you want to do etc.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 12:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010