5 y/o Daughter crying!!!

Help. My 5 year old daughter is so tenderhearted and cries at the drop of a hat. for example....when i ask her to go get hairbrush off the bathroom counter and she cant "find" it when it is sitting right in front of her she will bust out in tears because she "cant find it." we have tried explaining to her when she starts school next year if she keeps it up she will get picked on for being a crybaby. I try not to get ill when she does it because i am very tenderhearted and cry easily myself. is there anyone else that has dealt with this?

sahm2kateli

Asked by sahm2kateli at 7:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yeah. Kyra used to be like that. Or when someone around her, not even to her, would raise their voice, she's cry because they yelled.

We got her taking deep breaths and using her hands and arms. Have her put her arms down,then take a deep breath bringing her arms up. Hold it for a second, then slowly let it out putting her arms back down. It usually only takes one or two breaths to stop. Now, when she feels the need to cry, she closes her eyes for a minute and takes a couple of deep breaths. It works when she falls and hurts herself too. Hardly no more tears.
    Also, when she gets like that, wait until she calms down then talk about it. Let her know that everyone has times when they can't find something and tell her about an experience you or her father had that was similar. It will let her know that she's not alone and it's not a bad thing.
    Good luck :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my son is also five, is say to him
    - trevor,.. you need to talk to me nicely before you start to cry.. if you really feel the need to cry tho that is okay just go cry in your room with the door shut and when you are ready to come and talk to me like a big boy, i will be more then ready! but until then.. you need to go take a deep breath in you room..
    Yeah that cut out about 90% of crying lol.. the first few time he was like whattt im not going in my room.. but i just wont talk to him if he is crying ( unreasonably ) and i keep telling him go relax then talk to me.. now its to the point when he just takes a deep breath and talks right away
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Boy does this sound familiar my daughter is 5 and is the same way. I am sorry I cant offer you any help though as we have yet to figure out how to fix it ourselves. I try to calmly explain to her said object is right in front of her and its nothing to cry about. I hate telling her not to cry because I don't want her thinking its bad to cry but she will cry over the silliest things. Shes my little drama queen :)
    Alyia72

Answer by Alyia72 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• WOW! You call her a cry baby? WOW! Lead her to the brush and tell her "It's ok hunny, here it is, see it's ok no more tears" SOOTHE HER, DON'T NAME CALL!
    MartaJoy

Answer by MartaJoy at 8:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010