Congested

My son is congested, he has a cough and a runny nose, how can I get him to clear up?! I'm already going to buy a humidifier, he's 17 months and I gave him warm milk to help clear him up but I don't know if it'll work and earlier he had a fever well like 8 hours ago he did and I don't want the warm milk to warm him up again. I tried giving him warm water but he wont drink it, Any suggestions and advice would be really appreciated.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 7:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• relax - he has a cold and his body is doing exactly the right thing to fight the infection. Being warm is part of the fighting- its actually a good thing. If he is hanving trouble sleeping, you can try dripping warm saline drops into his nose to clear it a little. you can put a pillow under the head end of the cot mattress ( underneath to raise the head end a bit. I've slept many nights on the couch with my babies cuddled koala style and snoozing on my chest. It sucks but it won't be forever. Standing in a warm shower with him with soothe him. An alternative is the medications route -Benadryl just before bed will help clear his nose and help him sleep. Panadol or Tylenol will handle the fever - but try to avoid using them during the day so his little fighting system has a chance to go into battle. Good Luck Momma
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• A cool mist humidifier might help in his room at night. Like the pp said propping up the end he sleeps at or sleeping as she suggested which I have also done may help. Running a hot shower and just sitting in the bathroom with him may help as the steam works to break up any congestion. Fever as she said is a good thing, his body is working to fight off what ever is attacking his little body. A lukewarm bath may help him feel a little more comfortable and break the fever if you are unable to do so. I hope he feels better soon.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Do not give him any Dairy! Dairy creates mucus and can worsen his congestion.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• milk can make congestion worse, and really isn't a good option for humans if it's cows milk...
    i would try a hylands type product for congestion, and maybe a saline rinse for the sinuses.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• milk is actually bad for them when they are congested- give clear liquids instead.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No dairy!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010