Would you hire someone to...

Declutter your home or garage? I am trying to think of ways to make extra money. I like the stress release that comes with decluttering and organizing and think people need that-we have too much stuff that bogs us down. I'm not sure what to charge-any ideas? I'd also be willing to take things to goodwill or the landfill for them. Any thoughts?? Does anyone do this? I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts about this. TIA!

rickjen

Asked by rickjen at 7:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was just thinking about how I wish I could get someone to come in and do this for me....would I like to have it done, yes, but could I afford it, no!! I think it would be a great idea- there are probably alot of people out there that could use some help!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would love to hire someone to do this. My life is so crazy it would take so much weight off me.

shewolf13

Answer by shewolf13 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I personally wouldn't hire someone because I'm an organizational freak myself and I would not have the need. I once let a friend persuade me to do it for her - for pay/as a job - and I learned that it is not something I would ever do for anyone but myself. People get really weird about their stuff and what they say they want (a neat, organized space) often differs from their reality. You have to definitely be part psychologist to deal with that because you would not only be getting rid of and organizing the tangible things, but you'll have to deal with sorting through the emotional baggage as well.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have done some cleaning for people and experienced people wanting to keep things that I wonder "why?" so, yes, that would be a challenge Football Mom!
    rickjen

Comment by rickjen (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would love to hire someone to organize my home! You don't happen to live near North Georgia do you? LOL, Anyways, what you need to do is check out any competition in your area and see what they are charging. If there is nothing similar like this then check with surrounding areas or an area similar to yours in demographics. If you decide to do this, practice on your own home, family and friends homes, etc so that you can get a feel for it. Next, find out what the legal steps for your area/state are to open your own business. Join, NAPO- http://www.napo.net/. This will give your business credibility. Send out flyers, postcards, and business cards to let everyone about your services. You may also want to consider (and it may be required) to be bonded and insured. This will protect you from any false accusations and any accidents that may happen while you are in the clients home. Cont...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Cont...To find out more about how to market your business or for more ideas check out the CM group Mom Movers and Shakers- http://www.cafemom.com/group/109188

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't personally, but only because I can't stand other people messing in my stuff. I think it sounds like a great idea, good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would hire someone! Although I probably couldn't afford it... that's the thing- you'd have to make it reasonably affordable for people. You could always charge a $10 "consultation fee" and see what they need done- general decluttering/organizing help or do they need a complete overhaul? How many rooms? It would probably be best to do it case by case. For example- a woman wants help reorganizing her kitchen. You look and see it's fairly clean, just cluttered. It might take you an hour or two. $20-$30? If it's dirty, or really cluttered (can't see the table/counters) you'll want to charge way more. Or simply do $10 an hour?
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i want someone to come and help me clean my home. do the things i dont want to do. what state are you in?
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 10:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Jeremysmom~ I was in Charleston, SC and near Beaufort a little over a week ago! I live in Minnesota 3xangel.
    Thanks every one for the input-it is helpful!
    rickjen

Comment by rickjen (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2010