do you think its ok to hide from my family that i got married to another women?

got married and only friends know right now but family lives close by and i know they will find out soon. was told that if i cant tell its cause im insecure about my choice. should i just tell one family member and let them tell the rest so i dont have to keep repeating why they weren't invited or why i was afraid to tell them?i know they are ok with me being bi but not sure about the marriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• If you feel mature enough to handle marriage, then you should feel mature enough to deal with your family. Sometimes people surprise you and are more comfortable with things than you'd expect. If they don't like it then what? You're not going to divorce, so it's their thing to get used to, not yours.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It's your life. It is ok to do whatever you want. You are an adult. You made a decision. You might be hurting your spouse's feelings by acting ashamed of your relationship. Personally, I think you should have a reception. If no one comes then party by yourself. Celebrate your life. If others don't share the celebration then to heck with them. Embrace life and love. It's hard to find. If you found it then tell everyone you found it. I know I would if I found it. Best wishes.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• what state are u in my brother wants to get married but same sex marriages arent legal in iowa..... but i would tell my mom first and tell her everything and then let her deal with everything for me... that is if u trust ur mom...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i think that if they truly love you they will accept you and your marriage. it may take time but seeing that they accepted your BI then maybe your not giving enough credit to your family. i would tell why hide what you live.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i live in California. it was just made legal her a couple weeks ago. Im scared to tell my mom, most of all cause she doesn't like that im with a women.im only 21 and i was engaged for 2yrs so its hard for her to believe i like women now, not to mention i haven't been with this one more then 3 months.
    Anonymous

• Um, Hopefully your in a faze and i would draw up papers for a divorce right away,.
    Anonymous

• everyone says im in a faze, but i will never go back to men.
    Anonymous

• I would do what feels right... If you are in love, who are they to say you shouldn't be married... Thats how I feel. They may be shocked at first, but I am sure they will be fine with it.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I love my family but when you are grown your choices are yours. They don't have to be in the dark I would just probably have a get together with your spouse and make the announcement proudly you got married you are happy and thats that. You live your life as you see fit, does any of your family live by your guidelines of what you think they should? EXACTLY NOPE! Congrads! Wish you a long and prosperous life together! You are not obligated to tell them but it will make family gatherings less tense for you.

1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 8:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• are you my sister?!.. seriously sounds just like her! i'd love her anyway!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 8:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008