Cursing in front of kids.

I have many relatives (both blood and in-laws) that curse quite frequently. My husband and I don't, and we're afraid of our little girl picking up on these words. Are there any "nice" ways to get our families to NOT cuss in front of her? I've already tried talking to them about it, but I guess it slips their minds.

shaysmommy5810

Asked by shaysmommy5810 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have family and friends that still do it no matter how many times I ask them not to. I do curse if I am out on my own w/o my 3 year old, but not in front of her. I just don't see any good that come from my three year old knowing cuss words. I have heard children in stores cussing when they are having a fit and the parent is just standing there looking mortified. You can't cuss around your kid and expect them not to think it is normal and pick it up themselves. My daughter knows the cuss words when she hears them because of these people not controlling themselves around her, but she is actually the one who will say "You said a bad word, say you are sorry!" Lol. I am about to get out the swear jar and charge them a dollar per F-bomb. Maybe that will slow them down.
    (I don't want her to think it is okay to ever say the N-word, but that isn't an issue b/c I don't go around anyone that says it. The R-word is a no-no also.)
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 8:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think that is awesome, Shaysmommy! Good for you taking a stand for what is right and good! You are a winner because you were raised around that biggoted hatred and were able to see through the pure ignorance of it. Your daughter is a lucky little girl!! I am proud of your guys!!
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 8:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think it is horrible to curse in front of children. Cursing in general (in my opinion) demonstrates a lack of respect for others and self. I think if your family is not demonstrating the ability to control inappropriate language in front of your children then you should consider not taking your children around them.
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 8:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Unfortunately, I have kind of dirty mouth that I should probably control better, but my son knows that there are certain words that are not appropriate for children to use.... Not much you can do to control others- just remind your kids what's appropriate for them

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My little sisters think it makes them look cute to drop F bombs and I have taken them aside and told them not in front of my son ever. If they want to sound like little morons go for it but don't do it front of their many impressionable nieces and nephews. My other siblings who have kids have said the same thing to them. I rarely go to my dads when the girls are there since they are so ridiculous and really trashy it is hard to believe my dad allows them to behave as they do. He was so strict when I was growing up. They are the only ones in my family who speak that way the rest are intelligent and have larger vocabularies. 

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i appreciate the honesty, and i know my parents are free to speak as they please, but i'd rather my daughter NOT hear the big N word. Thats my main problem.
    shaysmommy5810

Comment by shaysmommy5810 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• lol i know where ur comin from momtolucas2002...my brothers are the same way.
    shaysmommy5810

Comment by shaysmommy5810 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• All i say is my lil one picks up everything so please dont cuss
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• How old is your DD? I'd tell her that's a very ugly word that we NEVER use. If she asks why her grandparents do, I'd tell her that they think differently...but that WE NEVER use that word because it is very hurtful to other people.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• BTW...I don't consider that a cuss word..but a derogatory slang.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010