Does he tell you that you're fat?

Is it offensive, or do you thank him for his opinion? Does he say it because he's genuinely concerned about your health, or because he expects you to look a certain way?

Do you think you'd feel differently if you were thinner, if you're currently overweight? Or if you were fatter, if you're currently skinny?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 8:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't know "who" exactly you are referring to when you say "he", I guess I can assume someones S/O or DH? I think it would be really disrespectful and awful for any body to tell their partner they were fat regardless of whether they were over weight or not. Why would somebody say that to the person they love or the mother of their children? If they are not satisfied with the way "you" look, or they think you might be unhealthy because of a weight issue, it is perfectly reasonable to have a kind and caring communicative conversation about that. With out name calling.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 8:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My husband would never tell me that I am fat (even though I am). If I get to a certain point I think he would probably talk to me about it but never, just out and out tell me that I am fat. My son on the other hand will blurt it out. In fact, he did blurt it out the other day.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• LoL quite the opposite. I'm 5'11" and 151 lbs.; I work out 5x/week (I've gotta do SOMETHING since I quit smoking) and I think he wishes I'd chill out. I've always been uber-skinny but I like being healthy a lot better.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• He used to say I was bigger than he liked...then I lost weight and came moments from divorce. Two kids later, I've gained weight again (though am working at getting it off). He will NEVER comment on my weight again or push me to lose it. He thinks when I lose weight, I lose my mind as well ROFL.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My DH has never told me I was fat!! But if I ever gain to much weight were it's not healthy for me. I would appreciate for him to neatly tell me I gain weight. I mean come on I've been with him for almost 10 years. I wouldn't feel offended if he tells me I'm fat or gaining to much weight. Because that is for my own well be. I want to live long and for that I need to stay healthy. So no I won't mind it.
    Now if I just married him it would be a whole different situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 8:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• He tells me how it is and i respect him for it! Im a bigger girl and he worries about me and my health. I have no problem with him being honest. Why would you want your husband to lie to you or act like your not getting bigger?
    Navywife0608

Answer by Navywife0608 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• DH talked to me very lovingly about my need to lose weight. His concern was around my health and the health of our dd who I am sure to influence throughout her life. I think if its done respectfully, then there's no reason to get mad. I think its a sign of real love when someone risks hurting their SO's feelings about something they may be sensitive about. If your so was an alcoholic or a drug addict, you'd think nothing of doing an intervention and care more about them getting better than whether they'd get mad at you. Why would it be any different than being overweight and all the health problems that can come with it.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• if u mean dh then my dh wouldntt ell me i were fat even if i needed to lose lots of weight
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My DH has never told me that I am fat however my daughter has told me that I have big boobs, big stomach and a big butt. I was hurt yea...so I decided to do something about it. Eating right, excersing more and hired a personal trainer for once a week and in two months I have already lost 16.45 inches off my body.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No, my Dh would never go there. Even if I was big as a house, he wouldn't go there.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 6:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010