Daughter got called a name?

my daughter is sixteen and on the third day of school she got called "shawty". she is very sensitive and started crying. I had to take her home with me...should I have? Was she being to overly senssitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Shawty is slang for a girl or girlfriend particularly an attractive one. May refer to a sexy female.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I believe shawty is slang for an attractive, sexy girl. I don't think it was meant to be an insult; whoever called her that was saying she is a pretty young girl.
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 8:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yeah,a little too sensitive

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Do you mean shorty as in she is short in height? I would think something else is going on - one name is not usually enough to have a 16yr old so distressed she has to go home with Mommy. If she is a normal ( I mean developmentally, mentally etc) 16 yr old , I would be doing some serious investigating to see what else is going on. Kids call names all the time, so her over reaction might be over underlying issues.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I was one of those sensitive girls in school so I understand why she got so upset. Things are going to be changing for he emotionally and hormonally and things may upset her a bit more. Can you explain to her the things that the other ladies have explained about how it was actually a compliment? Maybe that will help her. It also sounds like she has low self esteem. Can you try to do some things to help boost her self esteem? Maybe get her a new haircut? A new style? Something to make her feel pretty? Then maybe it wouldn't bother her so bad.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Sorry I'm going to be mean here but she's 16 and needs to grow up. Yes I'm overly sensitive as well but I wouldn't have ran and cried to my mom for being called something I didn't even know what it meant. For high school it's all about appearance and how you act and now that people knows she ran and cried to mommy for something that's actually good she's never going to be able to live that down. Kids can be mean espeically in high school. I don't think you should have taken her home with you. You can't protect her forever.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Also if they mean "shawty" as in attractive etc - who said it - are they hassling / harrassing her or doing things to make her feel uncomfortable. We had a guy at school who would deliberately stumble against a girl for a grope - these days we would ave him charged but a young girl might not know how to handle that sort of touching or attention.,
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Do you mean "shorty"? It's actually a compliment. It means your daughter is attractive.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• IF that is the worse...she will be fine. She needs to grow a thick skin. I would not have taken her out of school.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'd have kept her in school. 16 is a bit too old to be crying about something like that IMO.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2010