breastfeeding/pain. help!!!

I have had a lot of problems with breastfeeding (wasnt making enough and had to supplement in the beginning) now that I am making enough its not coming out fast enough for my son. The left side is fine, he latches good and eats well but the right is a different story. I dont have much milk coming out fast enough so he gets frustrated and a lot of times doesnt latch on well . For the past few feedings I have had this sharp shooting pain on the right breast for a couple of hrs after he feeds. heat doesnt help at all and cold does help a little. Please help!!!

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Join the BFing groups here on CafeMom. They are full of great information and helpful ladies. It's a little hard for us to know how to help you based off what you said. Is it possible for you to meet with a lactation consultant to observe the latch on the troublesome side? In my town the hospital has a LC on call 24/7 and her services are free. I can call and find out when she's free and drive up there with my baby for a little one on one help.

Shooting pains could be engorgement, clogged duct, mastatitis, or even thrush. Do you have a fever or red spot? Do you just have shooting deep in the breasts or do your nipples hurt?

How old is your baby? How often do you nurse? Do you have a flat nipple on the side that's bothering you?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• met with a lactation consultant already and helped me get my son latched on in the 1st place b/c he was used to the bottles.
    My son is 3wks old.
    no fever or red spots(did have red spots in the begining when we realized he wasnt getting any milk out and it doesnt feel like it did then)
    the pain starts with the nipple and seems like it goes straight into the breast more on the right side.
    I am nursing every 3 to 4 hrs if it gets closer to the 4 hr. mark I usually pump or I do get engorged.
    no flat nipple,
    (I only have 1 spray of milk coming out the right side and 4 or 5 coming out the left. (hope that makes sense)
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Nursing every 3-4 hours is waiting too long. Breastfeeding in the early months should be on demand or every 2-3 hours. Pumping can make breasts hurt in the way you describe. I suggest rest, going to bed with your baby if possible. Nurse every 2 hours or more often and no pumping. Have lots of skin to skin contact with your baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree with the other posters. Nurse nurse nurse.
    And remembe to LOOK At OUTPUT...do NOT judge how much he gets by input. What goes in must go out. As long as there are plenty of wet diapers there is nothing wrong with your supply.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have lots of skin to skin with him and he is the one that wants to eat every 3 to 4 hrs. He started having longer gaps in between feedings around 2wks. I have tried feeding him earlier and he wont even latch on. He's one of those sleepers that wont wake up unless he wants to! I DIDNT WANT TO PUMP!!! I HAD TOO!! NOT MY CHOICE!!! Please read everything before you comment on here. It was either pump so he got any breast milk at all or use formula all together!! I wanted to just breastfeed but I cant!!!!
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• there is something wrong with my supply when my child is starving and crying for more and you can tell its not gas, it's hunger!! and when you have already spoken with a lactation consultant about it and the ped. both who want me to breastfeed.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It sounds like you simply have a fast let down in one breast and a slow let down in the other. Let down has nothing to do with supply. The milk is in the slow let down breast, it just doesn't let down as quickly or as hard.

Soon your baby won't sleep so much and will eat more often. Until then, you may need to pump in between feedings. I would think it'd be hard to regulate a good supply with nursing only 3 to 4 hours in the beginning. All three of my babies nursed every 1 to 2 hours those first several weeks, so I built up a good supply early.

As far the nipple pain, this early it could simply just be your nipples are tender. Mine hurts something fierce the first 5 weeks of nursing and then are fine after that. But, another possibility is thrush. Thrush does cause nipple pain and shooting pains.

Join the BF groups and research (or talk to the LC about it) thrush and let down and see if that helps any.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The pain MAY be thrush, look inside your babies mouth and see if there are any splotches on his lips and gums INSIDE. Also could be a clogged duct. www.kellymom.com has loads of info for BFing moms. Please check that site out and look around, use the search engine for the site to find thrush info and see if it sounds like and also plugged ducts.

I am sorry you had to suppliment to start off with, but thats over and done with, next time you have an issue(like with another child or at another time with this one) knows that supplimenting doesn't solve problems it causes others..there are tons of ways to raise supply in less than 24 hours with NO supplimenting. With that being the past....look for the future.

Please Join Breastfeeding moms, I am one of the Moderators, I know that there are many moms there who have been where you are and would help you alot with their experiences.

Nurse nurse nurse you can do it!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• thank you!!
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 2:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010