My two year old doesn't love me anymore! Why not?

My two year old is so frustration lately. Her NEW favorite word is "no". Her response to anything and everything is no. She doesn't want me to hug her or kiss her...if I try, she gets upset and treats me as if I'm trying to murder her or something. She has always been a picky eater, but lately she doesn't eat much of anything besides raisin bread and graham crackers.

Today she threw a million tantrums in the store because she wanted to run around, grab things off of the shelves. Now that she's refusing to sit in the cart, my "quick trips to the store" aren't as quick!

I've just about given up. I feel like she doesn't love me anymore. After all I do for her everyday, this is the thanks I get. I'm sitting here in tears, wondering how I'll ever be able to take her out in public again, knowing that she's a bomb waiting to be set off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• oh mommy... *hugs* it Such an age thing.. you are the most important thing in the world to her she is just realizing she has some say on decisions and learning her independance.. plus, yeah, the fact she is 2 - my son turns 3 in a bit over 2 months and we've spend many days battling each other with all day tantrums and scream fits over what to eat where we are going what we are doing etc... this is the most important time especialyl when you are feelling like this to make sure you stay consistant.. Its ok.. she loves you - yesterday I was singing in the car and my son told me to stop singing please and I laughed and said Oh honey, I was just trying to make you so happy and he said WEll daddy makes me happy :) lol.. a few months ago that would have put me in tears but everything is phases and testing with kids.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think this is a normal stage that all two year old go through. They are enjoying all the new skills they have learned and get frustrated when they cannot make those new skills work. My Grandmother told me that how a child is at age two, is how they will be at age 16. And from personal experience, my dd and ds did the same things and it was repeated right around the time they wanted drivers license. Good luck. If you think this is something more going on, bring your concerns to your pediatrician. Good luck. It really does get better, I promise.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 8:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• She is a toddler that is testing her limits. It's completely NORMAL. She doesn't yet understand that you do everything and she's supposed to show "thanks". To her you're her mommy and that's the stuff you're supposed to do. If you let her know that you're frustrated she will keep doing it. When you're in a store if she acts up tell her calmly that you will leave if she doesn't sit in the cart and calm down. If she doesn't, leave and go back later without her. After 2-3 times of you doing this she will learn......BUT......the trick is you CAN'T give in. If you have to make a quick trip to get eggs......even if you need them immediately......you HAVE to leave if she acts up. If you don't it's teaching her that sometimes she can get her way. And when I say leave the store I mean you walk out without getting anything. She will learn but it will take patience from you to teach her. Good luck :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Hello she's TWO!!! WHY do you think they call it "THE TERRIBLE TWOS"???
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• She loves you. We've all been there, hang in there. Terrible two's an trying three's can seem to last forever and then all of a sudden at 4 you wonder who is this great kid because I know it's not mine. But no matter what know she loves you!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 8:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Normal. She is too busy exploring her world.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Shes 2... she's supposed to be doing tantrums... trust me you'll miss 2... HOWEVER, what concerns me is how you feel that "she doesn't love me anymore" SHE is the child, she is NOT there to validate you AND she's a toddler as far as she is concerned SHE is the #1 thing in this world and everything she sees is supposed to be hers anyways.

You are there to LOVE her no matter what.... "after all I do for her" -- you ARE kidding right??

If you are not... then maybe you need to re evaluate and GROW UP b/c you are NOT ready nor are you safe to raise a child.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010