My 5/yo still doesn't sleep threw the night!!!

EVERY night my son wakes up! at least 2 or 3 times!! its usaslly 3 times a night t he kid is up its starting to freaking kill me!!! he gets up comes to our room wants milk or to watch a movie.. or to sleep with us none on which he EVER gets! he has quite time every night at the same time, and a cup of milk 30 mins before bed.. he doesnt have fatty or sugar foods.. he is a very healthy kid with a healthy diet! but for the love of god will not sleep threw the night! he does a lot of talking in his sleep and he has BAD dreams a lot of just detailed dreams.. when will he start sleeping threw the night!

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Who knows. My 6 year old doesn't sleep through the night either.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would suggest talking to his Dr about getting a sleep study done for him.. its worth a shot or a place to start.. my almost 3 year old stopped sleeping through the night at 2 - still now its getting better but not every night will he sleep all night and he can wake anywhere from 1 time to 6 times ... frustrating I know~~! I have heard adhd children "can" tend to have a harder time getting to sleep and his chances of having that are 90% since his father and I both have it - he's also very active and senstive which has led to bad dreams or waking up worried and frantic about where certain toys or shoes or glasses are..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• When my 2nd son was born, he NEVER slept, even as a newborn. He might've slept a total of 4 hours during a 24 hour period. When he was an infant, my dr. would tell me 'stop giving him bottle at night, just let him cry and he'll eventually stop". NOT! He would cry for hours and I couldn't deal, there was no way I was letting him cry for hours night after night. So I (and I refer to only myself because my ex wasn't one to get up with the kids) just lived very sleep deprived for those years. I thought once he started school he would need more sleep, but it didn't happen right away. When I asked the dr. why he still wasn't sleeping, this time his reply was "some children just don't require as much sleep as others". It wasn't until he was 6 or 7 years old that he finally started sleeping for more than a few hours a night. Find a good dr. that will run tests and try to find out if there is really something wrong.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 8:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• This is soo funny I just read this cause I had my 5 yr old son tucked away and I just heard footsteps run down the hall into my bed with daddy, You are not alone!
    greenbeanmoma

Answer by greenbeanmoma at 10:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• "he gets up comes to our room wants milk or to watch a movie" - those are excuses. He doesn't want to sleep, he wants attention. If you give him what he wants, he'll keep getting up. You say he doesn't get those things, he's just not convinced yet and he's testing you. He wants to see what he can get away with. Just keep putting him back to bed - preferably with the words "it is bedtime, go to sleep". Anything more is still attention and he's wanting it. It'll take time and consistency, but it'll pass.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• YES! A doctor would do the trick! BUT another thing, my daughter talks in her sleep...and she sleep walks!!! You would never know it because she has her eyes open and talks kinda crazy, asks for things too! I just quietly lead her back to her bed and rub her back, and she calms down. Try that! Don't scream, get mad or even talk, don't turn lights on...quietly lead him back to bed, and walk out. You may have to do this a few times. :) Good luck! HOPE THIS WORKS!!! If not...I would call a Doctor.
    MartaJoy

Answer by MartaJoy at 8:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• wow
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My 5 year old still gets up sometimes, but he has finally learned that he can play quietly in his room until he is tired again. Then, he crawls back into his bed. It took telling him about a million times, but he caught on.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2010