Why do Christians claim the 10 Commandments, which appear in the OT,

but then try to claim them as distinctly "Christian values", that only the NT counts, it fulfills the OT, even though they are actually Jewish values they just didn't bother to write off along with the no eating shellfish and no stoning your child in the street rules? And then from there, try to say that means this is a "Christian Nation" even though the founders weren't all Christian and specifically set out to NOT be one?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• for the most part, the 10 commandments are simply morally (?) or ethically sufficient for any person or group of persons, xtians included.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You are right,of course. I do cite the 10 commandments but not from a Christian point of view....just as an example of rules to live by. I am still not even sure how I feel about religion at all....all I believe in is God and the Golden Rule. and that's it.
    I can't wait to see what Conservative Christians or any kind of Christian has to say.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• the 10 commandments are simply morally (?) or ethically sufficient for any person or group of persons

Well I agree, they apply to multiple groups. They even exist in religions that existed long before there was a bible. But that begs the question even more, how can they be called "Christian values" when they truly belong to pretty much every religion on the planet and are also generally held by agnostics and atheists?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• – collapse
    Because Christians are evil.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• how can they be called "Christian values" -

simply put, they are in the xtian Bible, and possibly more widely known from that source simply because of demographics/percentages of 'xtians' vs. other religions, stateside. i guess.

shot in the dark...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I take great ofense to the statement "Christians are Evil" Didn't your parents ever teach to stay quite unless you had something nice to say?

Christianity takes its roots from Judism. Heck, the man we worship was a JEW!! We are Christians and not Jews because we believe that he was the Son of God and the Jews do not.

The 10 commandments are the backbone of almost every organized religion out there. I do not think that Christian claim ownership of the 10 commandments.

If you really want to start a debate, let's talk about WHY everyone gets their panties in a bunch when there happens to be a painting or statue of the tablets in a courthouse when really - most of the Commandments are also LAWS so it makes perfect sence to me.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• This always drives me batty to. Like when some one gives an OT verse as a reason for gays being sinful. The ten commandments to me is just common sense morals. So I find them using them as a law silly.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Here's the thing: The OLD Testament is not the Christian Bible. The NEW Testament is. So, she is right---Christians can't claim the Ten Commandments as theirs. Jews can.But any religion can use the commandments as a guide for living.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Jesus specifically put an end to certain passages of the old Testament. The eating of "unclean things" was one of them. Also, the sacrifices mentioned in many of the Old Testament books.

As far as the ten Commandments go, I don't recall that ever being addressed in conjunction with the New Testament and the Law under Grace, so it's a great question. My gut would be tradition. but I can't give you an honest, educated answer.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Why can't they be labeled as Christian values? Why can't they be labeled as (insert any religion) values? Just because they're Christian values doesn't mean that they are ONLY Christian values.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2010