Iud perforation caused hysterectomy? adult content

I had an IUD placed in 2007, in April of this year it was found that it perforated my uterus and embedded in my bladder. I had surgery to remove it. I am now facing a hysterectomy due to the damage caused by the IUD . I am under 30 and was looking for people with similar surgeries and people who had a hysterctomy at a young age.

laiton

Asked by laiton at 8:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• I am so sorry! You are very young to have this surgery. I'm sure it was quite a shock to hear that you need it. I have not had this happen, but I have heard that it is a risk. I don't think that women are told that this is a real risk of IUDs. They also are not told of the dangers of hormonal birth control and the fact that barrier methods are not 100% effective in preventing pregnancy or stds. Thank you for sharing this. I hope that seeing your story will help some women to make their decisions whether or not to use and IUD.

I haven't had a hyst, but I have lived through infertility. We adopted both of our kids. You can PM me anytime you want to talk. {{HUGS}}
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• bumpI don't have any experience or advice but I feel for you. I bumped you so that hopefully others will see it and be able to help you.

hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thanks Ladies! I am having the surgery Thursday and want to know about the side effects that are tmi.
    laiton

Comment by laiton (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My sister had a full hsterectomy at 21 due to cancer. She is now 54 and the mother of twins, adopted at birth. My Mom had a partial hysterectomy (she still has her ovaries) at 35 due to uterine fibroids. She already had 5 children. My cousin had an IUD perforate and she had a partial hysterectomy. It happens but it is fairly rare. To the first poster..I don't know where you live but here you have to sign a paper acknowledging you have read it and understand the risks of the type of birth control you've been perscribed. I don't buy for a second they aren't being told. I believe many sign w/o reading. I believe many let it go in one ear and out the other...but the information isn't withheld purposefully.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If they are just taking your uterus most of the side effects are the same for any surgery, risk of infection or complications from anesthesia. After healed, some women deal with vaginal dryness afterward. That is easily solved by a non glycerin based lubrication. Go to drugstore.com and look up 'Slippery Stuff" it's a great product.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• How scary! My niece had one perforate her uterus and she had surgery to remove it. She has since gone on to get pregnant and is due on October. Have they said it is likely you will have to have the hysterectomy?

I have an IUD and have worried about something like that happening to me too. What kind of symptoms did you have when it perforated?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I am scheduled for it this Thursday. I had odd bleeding, blood clots, pain during sex, and sharp pains.
    laiton

Comment by laiton (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My mom had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis. I know she had pain after the procedure, obviously, but I really don't remember any tmi details. The only thing that really bothered her were the hotflashes. Those went away after a while.

As for the posts about details not being presented or not being presented accurately, I can buy that happens with IUD's and hormonal birth control. I've had 2 doctors, in 2 different states, try to sell me on that stuff. There was not one word of side effects or anything negative at all. I did the research on my own and only then did they admit that IUD's can perforate uterine wall and pills can cause blood clots and all those other lovely side effects on the commercials I see on t.v. I knew about the pills beforehand anyway becuase every woman I know who has been on them has had nothing but problems. So yes, some doctors don't have a problem with keeping a patient in the dark.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I feel so sorry. I had the Essure procedure done a year ago and then 2months later had to have surgery to remove my tubes (removing them). Which was a good thing because it had come out of my tube and was about to puncture my uterus. While I didnt have the hysto i can kind of understand (I have no tubes now). HUGS.
    CorbinsMomma

Answer by CorbinsMomma at 10:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I know someone who had a hysterectomy when she was 23 y/o. She had cancer. she now has a beautiful darling sweet son.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010