Do yo have the lap band?

If so, please share your experiance with it, and how much over weight were you when you got it done?

I am thinking of talking to my dr about this. I have been a yo-yo dieter for 5 years now, Ive struggled a lot with my weight in the last 2 years. I am like 60 pounds overweight. Do you think I'd be a good canadite?

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• Like I said I just had mine done on July 23rd and I have lost a total of 21 pounds. That is before and post op. I currently weight 316.5 pounds and I am considered morbidily obese. My BMI is 44. I am on my journey to lose 150 pounds or more. Here is a link to show what your BMI is. http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    Many surgeons go by a guideline and also by your health risk.
    I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.
    PS I have found this website the most useful and most benefical for anyone who is losing weight. www.myfitnesspal.com. It has great tools, support, food diaries and many other great tools to help you on your way to weight loss.
    Good luck!
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't know. I am trying the herbal version of gastric bypass first. I don't have quite as much to lose as you do, but if it works I'll let you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The Bypass2 Slimball. It is a biogranule that you take and it swells up in your stomach causing a full feeling so you eat less. It is digeted within three hours and because it is made from fiber, your colon will get a good cleaning. The phone number is 1-866-494-3792. You can order code number by203 for $89.99 plus $6.95 s&H (plus an extra $6.00 if you want expedited shipping) It claims you will lose between 40-59 pounds or they refund your money less s&h. So if it doesn't work you are out $6.95
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thanks! And what is this herbal version that you are talking about? Good luck!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think you have to be at least 100 lbs over weight.
    Navywife0608

Answer by Navywife0608 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Seriously?! I always hear the commercials on tv or the radio, even billboards that say 50 pounds for lap band.. :(( I hope not!!
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Just remember I haven't tried yet. I don't know if it's worth it or worthless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I am a new bander (had my lapband done on 7/23) and the critieria to see if you are eligible for lapband mainly depends on two things....your BMI (body mass index) and if you have other serious health issue's that is affected by being over weight...Health Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
    Morbid obesity has been found to affect the quality of health and significantly reduce the length of life. It has been linked to several serious and life-threatening diseases such as diabetes type 2, heart disease, high blood pressure, acid reflux/GERD, and cancer. In each case, a prospective patient may want to compare bariatric surgery’s high resolution rates to the long term effects of the following co-morbid conditions:

flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 diabetes is an increasingly widespread health issue and has serious long-term consequences. People with diabetes type-2 are at risk for developing heart, kidney disease leading to kidney dialysis, strokes, and poor circulation. Nerve damage, foot problems and eye complications can also occur.

Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure indicates that your heart is straining to pump blood throughout your circulatory system and can lead to health disorders such as heart disease. People living with morbid obesity are at risk for developing high blood pressure, heart disease such as congestive heart disease.

High Cholesterol: High cholesterol can be harmful and is associated with serious health condition. People with high cholesterol are at risk for developing heart disease including hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis), leading to heart attacks, and strokes
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Obstructive sleep apnea is a sleep disorder with symptoms of loud snoring and long pauses in breathing. Obstructive sleep apnea is linked to several serious conditions and experiences. People with obstructive sleep apnea are at risk for heart disease, and high blood pressure due to low oxygen levels in blood.

Quality of Life
    Although the medical problems, by themselves will significantly deteriorate the quality of life, the daily activities are also commonly affected. Simple things such as walking, flying in airplanes, buying clothes, enjoying amusement parks, playing with kids, trimming your toe nails, and several other things can be difficult or impossible.

Most bariatric patients, who experience significant weight loss, will improve overall quality of life. They will experience improved physical functioning and appearance, and improvement of social and economic opportunities
    flcouple7577