should i let him play a swordfighting game??

i let my son play this swordfighting game on wii and he LOVES it. but i was thinking that maybe its not too great of an influence for him. he has sooooooo much fun playing it though, id hate to take it away from him. what do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think its just a game and as long as you keep reality with fantasy seperated to him, he'll grow up just fine. my brother LOVED playing with fire when he was young, he hasn't set anything on fire or beena deliquent in anyway and is 21 now.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm assuming he's only 3 or 4? I probably wouldn't let my son play games like that until he got older, just to make sure he does know the difference between games and reality. But it probably not going to warp him or anything. :)
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think it's fine as long as he knows it's not real and his time on the game is limited
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son loves swords- he's 3 and has his own real sword. (When I say real I mean metal, no edge AT ALL. It can't even pierce the ground.) My SO is a trained renaissance reenactor and works with my son weekly. He has actually gotten really good, and can defend himself fairly well. I think swords are a great thing for kids, real or not! Way better than guns, but that's just my opinion.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's really totally up to you whether oor not this is OK. Me personally, I wouldn't let my son play a swordfighting game. But I am way far off on the very edges of parenting, where mainstream would be the middle. BUT - if he's already played it, I wouldn't take it away. I might think of a conversation to have with him about it. But I wouldn't take it away.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my brother and i used to use the broom and mop when we were kids. i don't see any harm in it. i would let me girls do it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well I think it's ok as long as he understands the difference between reality and fantasy. at that age it's difficult to tell if they really understand or not. I let my son play a game (a minigame in Thrillville) and when he started making references like "I shot that robots arm off" I made him stop. There are other games that I do let him play and as long as I don't hear any odd comments he can continue to play them. I limit his time on the game and make sure that he has lots of other activities (Taekwondo, football, playing at the park, visits with the family) to keep his mind busy on all kinds of things, not just punching some guy out in the game.
    3livin4angels

Answer by 3livin4angels at 8:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I dont let my son play nintendo games (ya i call them ALL nintendo) but he plays sword fighting, he has a play bow and arrow. I think, Personally, that its ok for them to play these games.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• does he understand that it's a game, that it's not real, and that you don't sword fight with real people in real life?... if yes... then yes, let him play.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I dont think its good to play those kind of games that young
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010