Food Q

Can you save unused tomato sauce in its container in the fridge for future use? How long will it stay good?

kya143

Asked by kya143 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Yes you can =] I guess it'll stay good for at least a few days, depending on the container it's put in.

If you're not planning on using it for awhile though, you can put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it. It'll stay good for much longer and you just defrost it when you're ready to use it ^.^
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• You can keep it as long as it's not in the metal can....it will release toxins after a while. transfer it to a tupperware.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• you can also toss it in a ziplock baggie and throw it in the freezer if you're not going to use it all up.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you mean in a metal can, it's not a good idea, because tomatoes are acidic and can react with some cans. It's better to put it into a sealable container of some sort. In fact, that's pretty much the case with any canned food.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Just wanted to add: even if the food doesn't react in a toxic way, it will still gain a metallic taste over time. And it's just gross :) lol
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Awesome ideas! I use spaghetti sauce...a bit at a time. I used to throw out 3/4 full bottles because I was afraid of getting sick. (Remembered something about metal reacting and I hated putting it in tupperware because it discolors). Now, I'll put in in a baggy and/or save it in the freezer. Thanks for your input, ladies!
    kya143

Answer by kya143 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 11, 2008