No idea I would create such a monster, over sleep time milk.

Took the 4oz milk bottle from my newly 2 yr old. Yes, yes, he is 2 and still got a bottle to sleep, creating the monster. Now I know better with the 10 month old baby. Well this is night number 3 and he is still in crazy mode. Although quieting some, been almost 20 minutes now. We did give him the milk in a cup the last 2 nights/days and he refused it. It leaked all over everything. I came to the decision he is going to learn to get to sleep on his own, as I am not dealing with this crap again when the cup is then gone. He still wakes once or 2x a night still! He has to learn to put himself back to sleep. The 10 month old sleeps better than him. Did your LO literally throw themself into the wall, climb the wall, bang their heads on the bedframe or wall, throw themself around like a crazy person, all over their soother being taken away? What's the longest it lasted? Am I a dreamer that he will sleep all night in a couple weeks?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was the same. He had the bottle at night time until he was 3!!! But I started putting water in it at 1 1/2. I didn't have the heart to take it away. He loved it so much. Then one day he told me "bottles are for babies!" and never took it again. I was glad I waited until he was ready to give it up. His teeth are fine too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It will take time to tame the monster, but you can do it ... hang in there! It'll be ok.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• They say it takes about 14 days to really break or create a habit- just stick with it, you can do it!!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I didn't have this problem, but I wonder if you could switch to water instead of milk, (or if since you have already taken the bottle away, maybe you shouldn't go back to it at all.) or even an empty bottle, or a pacifier.

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son was the same way -although it was 16 months .. so sad.. keep at it mommy.. BTW my son is turning 3 and still wakes at night too :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I breastfed my children and they nursed to sleep and at night when they were 2. It's normal for children to breastfeed at night and to wake to breastfeed until they are 3 or older. My 23 mo breastfed grandson is still waking to breastfeed twice at night.

The problem is you can't let a child bottle feed at night, it rots their teeth. Artificial feeding and making babies and toddlers sleep alone is a recent experiment and we don't know what all the consequences are. I can't imagine letting my child bang their head on the wall and scream at night.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I've been there, but not about a bottle. it will take a bit, but each night, it will be a little less. Keep it up, it will be worth it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• In the middle of the night it is water. I tried to ween him right at 12 months, but I then went into hospital for a month, then the new baby came. Needless to say him giving up the bottle wasn't happening. Well now, he is 2 and it is out of hand. As in, he wants a bottle as soon as he wakes up. I understand it is a huge comfort to him, but at the same time, he can't have it forever. He cried and fussed an hour and 20 minutes night 1. Tonight was between 20-25 minutes. His daddy is military and gone a lot. Come the end of September he is gone until at least Christmas. I know that is traumatic in itself. But the pediatrician said he needs to come off it. I feel terrible. I'm glad I am not alone. I honestly think the women who take it right around a year have not other babies to tend to, making it easier LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• In no way do I ignore his needs. Nor did I let him bang his head on the bed....he did this while I was laying in bed with him. I stayed in his room until he was calm. Then he just fussed, not scream and throw himself around. It WAS IN NO WAY CONVENIENT FOR ME TO TAKE HIS BOTTLE. It would be easier to allow him to keep it. I am fine with him keeping it, but everyone in my life says it is time for him to be done with it. Was it convenient or nice for me to be in public the last year and have him take his brothers bottles and have comments or looks from people. NO. I don't appreciate the nasty bashing, when you have no clue what it is like to be by yourself with your children while your husband is away ALL the time, sacrificing everything now so we can give our children a better life down the road.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Felipe is 3 1/2 and still has bedtime milk. I don't even remember exactly how he progressed to where he is now, but it's part of his routine, and always has been. What he has now is about half a swallow (I am not exaggerating) of milk from a cup before bed every night. He brushes his teeth afterwards. He has been at the half-swallow amount for quite a while now, over a year I think. And in the last month or two he has transitioned all on his own from sitting in my lap to drink it to standing at the kitchen counter to drink it. I feel confident that he will move away from it on his own when he is ready. In fact, he has gone to bed without it a few times recently.

I am not saying this is what everyone should do - just sharing a different experience.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010