How to buy from bulk bins without having any trash?

I want to buy raw sugar from the bulk bins at our local store.My reasoning behind buying it in bulk is so that I don't have the trash of the box of raw sugar you buy from the store. If I buy the box of raw sugar from the store, I have the box as trash. But, if I buy the sugar from the bulk bins at the store, then I have the bag that they put it in to measure the weight to determine the price. So, how do I buy the raw sugar without having any trash at the end?

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 9:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Huh? You have to have a container to put it in. They don't allow you to bring in your own bowl or something......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Can you reuse the bags they put it in? Like take them back the next time you get sugar? Or take your own container? I can't buy bulk sugar where I shop so I don't know how it works.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't know it you could bring in your own container. That's the only way I can think of. But you can recycle the cardboard box!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Trash? The box is recyclable. If the bag is a number 1 or 2 plastic - it recycles in most centers.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Are you allowed to bring in the container that you will put the sugar in? Just make sure they weigh your container before hand and then subtract the weight from the sugar in the container. Or could you reuse the plastic bag or recycle it?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• What you have to do is bring a container with you, tell the cashier on the way in to weigh it (I think it's called tare), and then subtract the weight of the container when you check out. When I did this, the store obviously hadn't ever had people do that before, they were kind of lost for a sec, but they just wrote the tare on my container with a Sharpie, and it wasn't a problem at all. Most of the time they know me and I can just go right in now, though I always check with a cashier on the way in to make sure it's all good.

Awesome idea btw! Good luck! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't know if I could bring my own container in. That's a good idea, though and I will see if that works. Also, that's a good idea about reusing the bag it came in. Thank you!
    CaptivatedByGod

Comment by CaptivatedByGod (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Plastic bag is the lightest container you could have without adding more to the cost of bulk sugar. Then talk that plastic bag and reuse it for your next trip.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010