anyone ever have a child that would fight their sleep everynight, to the point where it made you feel like there was some mental issues going on????

kaotickitty83

Asked by kaotickitty83 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am going through that right now. We took the bottle from my son, who is 2 and he is just crazy. Night 1 was about an hour and a half. tonight is night 3 and it was between 20-25 minutes. My husband and I have learned a hard lesson, on both our ends. I wonder half the week, what is wrong with him, but I was the same way....my parents said I didn't sleep a straight 12 hour stretch until I started kindergarten. But y son throws some doosy tantrums all day, not just at night. My aunt told me this weekend my cousin would work herself up to the point of vomiting for a phase. All I can say is hang in there. Get a nice calm routine down. Do they have a blanket...mine both love their blankets. Or a stuffed animals.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yeah,my cousin Lisa was like that.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Your baby is less than 12 mo. What babies have always done is breastfed and slept with their mothers. The baby and mother share a symbiotic relationship. The baby gets hormones from the milk that makes the baby feel sleepy. Pheromones from the baby make the mother and baby have similar sleep cycles. Human babies brains are hard wired to breastfeed and sleep with their mothers until they are 3 or older.

When babies are artificially fed and/or expected to sleep alone it goes against everything humans have always done.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 17 month old baby would wake up screaming and crying really bad! I made some research and she could have night terrors! She wakes up all night still but not screaming and crying the way she used to so i didnt make a big deal about it but if u think theres something wrong u should get it checked out!
    Better safe than sorry! :)
    PrettyMommy235

Answer by PrettyMommy235 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• in response to gailll......

i had to go with formula with my daughter because number one she was 5 weeks early and born with a condition that required her to immediately go to nicu and required surgery in order for her to be able to eat and poop.....so therefore she was iv fed for about 2 weeks until the dr cleared her surgery as success and able to attempt breastfeeding...well i was pumping the whole time and they were using that through iv, and also when she was ready to bottle feed it to her when i was not there......and when we had attempted the breastfeeding, she would not latch for nothing, and when she did she would not suck...it got to the point where i was engorged and hurting badly, cuz she would not feed, i couldnt even pump after awhile cuz there were so full...so i had to eventually give up and just bottle feed her formula...
    i would be breastfeeding her, cuz i know that is what is best for her, but i couldnt
    kaotickitty83

Comment by kaotickitty83 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• we do hang in there, cuz we know she has already been through alot as it is, since she was born.....
    and we have a nice steady routine down, where her baths are mostly strictly at nighttime and we use the johnsons nighttime bath and nighttime lotion, and it seems to work for the most part...but she still has her moments now and then..but her pediatrician said it's normal for babies to do that!!!!!.......
    kaotickitty83

Comment by kaotickitty83 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Baths can have a stimulatig affect on babies. Especially you use stuff like johnsons...the smell is quite overpowering. Most people don't notice it because they use it all the time. Read the labels..very bad or the skin when you can't even understand whats in it.

I suggest not bathing as a routine and I would stop the lotion and johnson's soap. If you must bathe a plain unscented soap, and if you need to moisturize olive oil, shea butter, or coconut oil work nicely without all the chemical additives of commercial lotion.

FYI With the right support, you could have had breastfeeding success. Engorgement is easily managed and there are ways to efficiently pump. It's unfortunate. But if you wanted to know, you CAN still breastfeed if you really wanted to. kellymom.com has great info on relactation and several women in the breastfeeding moms group here have gotten their babies back to breast successfully. Not too late.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 2 1/2 year old fights sleep every night to the point I think I'M going crazy... I think a lot of it is getting used to his daddy working third shift, but it still stinks. He'll scream for hours, no matter how tired he is, whether he napped or not...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You bottle feed so bedsharing is not recommended because bottlefeeders and their babies just sleep differently than a breastfeeding pair. BUT you can still cosleep with the baby in the same room and even with a sidecar arrangment. I use a sidecar for more room, but it also is a safe way to cosleep even if you bottle feed. Side car crib
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree that baths before bed can be stimulating and stuff like J & J can keep baby awake because of the smell or the irritating effect on the skin. Babies only need baths once or twice a week.

It's never to late to breastfeed. Adoptive mothers breastfeed their babies. When you can't breastfeed and thus can't co-sleep it can be really difficult.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2010