• In the Spotlight:

Differences?

The Dead Sea Scrolls are the oldest known manuscripts of the Bible. Yet many refuse to recognize differences between these manuscripts and modern translations...why? Wouldn't the oldest known manuscripts be more 'valid' or 'correct' than translations off of translations?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Sure would. I would love to have the knowledge to read these in the original language and translate it for myself.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yeah,you'd think so.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My guess is fear. Fear of disrupting and changing the things they've gotten so used to. I've asked people this before and all they've said is that the Dead Sea Scrolls were fake and made up by people who were anti-Christian.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• For me personally.. If I were a Christian. Yes, I think the original scripts would be more meaningful and "valuable" to me.

I find religious text that are the least altered to be the most meaningful. The more a text has been translated, rewritten to match the times, or rewritten for someone's personal goals.. The less true to form those text are in my opinion.

But that's just me.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Many sects of Christianity deny the Dead Sea Scrolls all together. Mostly because if they accept them they then would have to accept similarly found writings - such as the Gnostic scrolls found at Nag Hammandi. Which would really rip their church to shreds... So in order to self preserve and keep their nice paychecks they simply ignore them and hope their followers follow suit.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• makes sense to me...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i had a professor who among other things got to transcribe straight from the DS Scrolls (he was a genius, fluent in Greek, Hebrew, & Latin). he had some VERY unorthodox ideas and translations. the one that was most interesting to me was that the Bible got the idea of "lust" wrong. according to him Biblical lust means "to plan". so it doesnt mean "thinking sexual thoughts" or being turned on sexually, it means planning out immoral sex. basically, "he's hot so im gonna get him drunk so i can take him home & have sex w/ him" or something along those lines.

he changed a LOT of my views on how "perfect" the current Biblical translations are.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think it would be wonderful to have and study both, the Dead Sea Scrolls have been a fantastic discovery.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• There is the transliteral translations and the paraphrase. the transliteral come from the oldest manuscripts where as the paraphrase does not. When this is understand then you can find the right bibles to read from I use NASB which is transliteral and the Message which is a paraphrase. There is a new one called Mirror version which is a paraphrase translation from the original text. They only have a few books written but it is really good.

http://mirror.scripturetext.com/

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yup and they'd realize they don't apply to the modern world as we know at all
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:03 AM on Aug. 30, 2010